Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All done now, but one fairly major change, we both decided the base looked better upside down! :surprise::smile:

5ft x 3ft x 1/2" glass top, bubinga base.

Only tools used were table saw, router (table and hand held), hammer and chisel briefly to square the mortice ends, and lots and lots of sandpaper.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
I like it, you have just come up with a brilliant idea ,a convertible table. You can go both ways, right side up or right side down. Good job on the legs and frame, and reusing the top.
Herb

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Super ----- it's the sanding part I don't like.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Strangely, I enjoy sanding, getting every thing crisp or blended, I can spend days sanding.

But finishing.... Oh man I HATE applying varnish.

·
Premium Member
20,449 Posts
Strangely, I enjoy sanding, getting every thing crisp or blended, I can spend days sanding...
First, I normally don't like glass topped tables, but this is really beautifully done, and I agree that it looks better upside down. I also like the idea of recycling the glass. The wood and finish are first rate.

I used to dislike sanding, but I got a couple of sets of the Rockler shaped sanding blocks, AND some of the 3M flexible sanding medium. The flex allows wrapping the sanding medium so it comforms to the shape. Has made sanding picture frames and other irregular surfaces much less tedious.

You can get the sanding medium at Amazon (below), It is expensive, but I bought out the stock at HD because it's so much better and far longer lasting than paper backed sandpaper. I'd heard that it was being discontinued. I have been spoiled now. Here are pix.

Get it here https://www.amazon.com/3M-28150SBE-...qid=1569515703&sprefix=3m+flex,aps,230&sr=8-4

Here's a link to sanding blocks on Amazon, other companies make them too, and the come in wedge shapes as well. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Rockler+sanding+grips&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nicely done!

There is a product called Abralon which can really help with finish sanding....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts