Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was approached by a lady who wanted a chess set to give as a gift. She had no joy from various wood turners she had approached, and someone eventually gave her my name. Now I do not have a lathe, but I do a lot of scroll-saw work. But one of my friends, Bruce, licks the pants off me when it comes to 3D scroll-saw work, so I asked him if he could produce some samples for her. He made a few pieces in 2 different styles - one a conventional style, and a second one based on Notre Dame Cathedral, for which he had a pattern.
She loved this one, and ordered a set, in a box and with a Chess board.

So Bruce made the pieces, and I made the board and box. The wood used for the pieces is Imbuia and Yellowwood, which is a local indigenous wood. For the board and box I used Imbuia and Pau Marfim, which is similar in looks to Yellowwood. The finish all round is Rustin's Danish Oil (from U.K.)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
B E A U T I F U L L ! ! !

...and I love that you and Bruce took a collaborative approach...GOOD ON YA ! !

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for the for the nice comments - all credit to Bruce for his steady hand and patience.
@DaninVan - Dan, as I said in my post, the design is based on Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, and is a pattern that Bruce had saved from somewhere, intending to one day make it - I just provided the catalyst - (and the mundane stuff!)

btw, I had suggested that we run a blowlamp over the king and queen, to bring it up to date - but for some reason Bruce didn't like that!!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Thanks everyone for the for the nice comments - all credit to Bruce for his steady hand and patience.
@DaninVan - Dan, as I said in my post, the design is based on Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, and is a pattern that Bruce had saved from somewhere, intending to one day make it - I just provided the catalyst - (and the mundane stuff!)

btw, I had suggested that we run a blowlamp over the king and queen, to bring it up to date - but for some reason Bruce didn't like that!!
Cute Rob.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Can't seem to find words appropriate......one of a kind and so masterfully made. I'm not sure I even have a place that it would be properly displayed and, dare I think it, even be played. Stunning work indeed. Someone will be ecstatic with this gift.

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
Beautiful unusual chess set. I'm sure she was happy with that one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.