Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this is in the wrong area...Moderators feel free to relocate.

Ladies and gentlemen...I have an idea prompted by a recent discussion...Let's collaborate on the topic "HOW TO SELECT ROUTER BITS"... If this has already been done, by all means respond with a link and I can put this to bed...thanks in advance for reading...

Here's what I'm thinking...gather a small number of like-minded individuals that believe in "HOW TO..." rather than "WHAT..." In other words, let's create something that tells a newcomer "HOW TO" make a selection of bit(s) rather than blandly responding with "BUY THIS..." At this point I'm not sure how long it will take...days/weeks...it doesn't matter...it'll be good when it's over.

1. Let's put a team together to concentrate on different aspects of making a selection of bits to start woodworking with a router...

2. The team will select the areas to be covered...the team will agree (consensus model) on what these topics should be... We will also document the "Purpose" for this project. We will submit that "Purpose" to the forum members for comments/suggestions. We might use PM's to come to consensus.

3. Each of the team members will be responsible for a particular area...for example, carbide grades, low/medium/quality of bits based on experiences, what it takes to maintain a sharp bit, criteria to consider when purchasing, places to purchase, what not to do, safety, etc...

4. Each team member who volunteers for that area will do their own research...internet, forums, magazines, etc... and summarize the results in keeping with the purpose of this project... @Stick486 and others are likely to have much of this already documented...we can take advantage of that... Again, we could do this with PM's first...

5. Each documented area will go through a "peer review" made up of all the team members and then submitted to the forum for comments/suggestions...the final will become its own thread later... This too might be better done with PM's...

I am not an expert or experienced routerologist...I am fairly new to transitioning to power equipment having been at it for only about a dozen years. But because of my life-long background at working with virtual teams I feel this would be a contribution to the forum that I can make in return for all that I have gotten from the forum.

Maybe during this process we come up with other "HOW TO..." ideas that others may want to run with. Think of it, a library of "HOW TO's" that newcomers can go to and develop questions in making their initial purchases... Remember, this is for initial purchases...it is not intended to replace other areas of the Forum... If this turns out to become a "book", so be it...

I know many of you can use your woodworking and life-experience skills and backgrounds that can make this a very useful project. Join in...this will be fun... I would be honored to work with any of you...we could also use phone calls...I'm a good note-taker :smile:

If you are interested in participating let me know and we can start the project in this thread...pick some areas that a newcomer interested in making an initial bit purchase should consider...for example, carbide quality, profiles, customer service, USA vs import, manufacturers of bits (good and bad), etc...

For this initial interest-gathering/beginning, use 3-5 word phrases for suggestions...there is no right or wrong...all are likely to be included in the final product. Some will be consolidated for reading ease. Others can become a different "HOW TO..."

Once gathered I will submit back to the Forum with an initial outline...by then the team will likely be comprised by the member who made the suggestion. I will put a name to the area and post. Some members may choose to collaborate on one specific area. You can then shoot holes in it as you wish... Don't worry about making a suggestion if you don't want to be responsible for that area...somebody will jump in, I'm sure.

Ready for this challenge...?

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can they be trusted with sharp objects? ;)

All team members will first be certified as to the proper use and safety of a phillips screwdriver...unless they are already licensed for such use.

Members with extensive experience with flat screwdrivers will automatically be eligible, however, they will then need to be certified in phillips. No exceptions...

For the safety of the other team members, and themselves, and especially during the process of arriving at consensus, no users of other similarly sharp instruments will be allowed to participate...

Gotta have some rules...:grin:

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
#1 Robertson's get a pass?

Definitely not...! ! !

Any member professing the use of a Robertson is automatically deemed ineligible...even those that were in the top 5% of their "Robertson Class of Pointy Stuff" would need more extensive training. Project budget will not allow for the additional expenses for that level of training.

Since it's important for any member to not feel discriminated against, their application for team membership will be considered if they denounce that Satan's spirit is in the screwdriver. There can be no "Devil made me do it" excuses...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
As any woodworker/carpenter/construction guy knows. You can't use "do I need it?" as a criteria for buying a new tool. Whether or not you'll even ever use it is besides the point! For all you confused people out there, I will give you the listed reasons for buying a new tool straight from "The Man Bible" Chapter 35 Section 72 Subsection D Paragraph 23 states:

You simply buy a new tool because:
a) It's there
b) You can

I hope this has cleared up any questions any of you may have for buying new tools, and hopefully relieve some of the guilty feelings you may have about purchasing that new tool with the money you should have spent on a new dishwasher for your wife.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
All team members will first be certified as to the proper use and safety of a phillips screwdriver...unless they are already licensed for such use.

Members with extensive experience with flat screwdrivers will automatically be eligible, however, they will then need to be certified in phillips. No exceptions...

For the safety of the other team members, and themselves, and especially during the process of arriving at consensus, no users of other similarly sharp instruments will be allowed to participate...

Gotta have some rules...:grin:
anyone that uses a flat screwdriver for a any purpose other than a prybar or chisel needs to be disqualified...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Here in Canada flat screwdrivers are only used for prybars these days. The reason Robertson invented his screw drive system was because he stuck a flat screwdriver in his hand during a demonstration while he was working for Henry Ford (the #1 Henry). Phillips are only used when driving screws that come with things made somewhere other than Canada. Our hardware stores have bins of square drive screws like yours have bins of nails. No special permits are needed when using square drive screw drivers. They are pretty hard to hurt yourself with.

I couldn't resist saying that Nick. I think it is a great idea to determine what's needed and you were right in the other thread about finding out first what the user needs. But that can and should change over time whether a newbie or well seasoned. I've seen some posts from new members in the past and it was obvious that they couldn't imagine what some bits would be used for and in some cases they were pretty simple bits. One case I recall the newbie couldn't imagine what you would use a cove bit for yet it is often the bit I choose these days for edge profiling. I like the clean simple look. I started out preferring an ogee but now I tend to think it looks too busy most most of the time.

Maybe with router bits we could put together a list of the ones we use most and describe what they can do and why we use them and maybe add some pictures of examples. That might help them figure out what type bits they would be interested in. Once we have what we think is a winning compilation it can be made into a sticky thread or added as a link into an existing sticky thread.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
@Nickp..

I ain't a team player...
but I'll bite and throw some gas on the fire...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe with router bits we could put together a list of the ones we use most and describe what they can do and why we use them and maybe add some pictures of examples. That might help them figure out what type bits they would be interested in. Once we have what we think is a winning compilation it can be made into a sticky thread or added as a link into an existing sticky thread.

Excellent idea...I will make sure it is in the outline...maybe we can set up a poll at some point to get a read on it...thanks for adding to the project...

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Nickp..

I ain't a team player...
but I'll bite and throw some gas on the fire...

Thanks, Stick...the Rockler PDF on choosing bits has a lot of the topics I woud have wanted to cover...it is an excellent start and it could be even better if there were some experiences to go with it...for example, how to choose which of those bit categories should be purchased from whom. You've mentioned customer service, availability, return policy, etc...which are not covered in the PDF.

Can you put together a quick summary covering these things and more...? Greatly appreciated...

You don't need to narrate...just some bullet items that we can put words around later...

Thanks for adding to this...

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No special permits are needed when using square drive screw drivers. They are pretty hard to hurt yourself with.

LMAO...I particularly enjoyed the history lesson re: Robertson screwdriver...

Having said that, it is obvious we will first need to test applicants to the project team...maybe a background check...?

For example...Are they from Canada...? Have they ever hurt themselves with a square drive screwdriver...? Do they know what a square drive screw driver is...? And how it is used...?

If they answer "Yes" to any of the above they would, of course, be disqualified...:grin: ...don't want to take any chances...LOL

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BTW...did I mention you will be compensated for submitting ideas/input into this project...?

Yes...you will have the honor of writing up the section that you submitted. Think of it...you will be "published"...!

You will leave a legacy that will remain in the archives forever to be embedded in the minds of those who will take the advice you offered...

Can it get any more exciting...? You will forever be scribed in the annals of Routerforums history...!

Reactions: JFPNCM

·
Premium Member
20,450 Posts
One legitimate use for a flat screwdriver is tightening hose clamps, many of which still have a flat slot. They arealso very useful for opening a can of paint or wax. Try using a star or philips for that.

Having written a sticky on the 18 things, 10 pages long with pictures, I think this is an OK project but who knows if it will do any good. We could survey a list of brands and have everyone rate them. What would be a basic kit of high quality bits you buy individually. Say a kit of 6, another of 12 and possibly 18. This would be specific type of bit, 18 total, and then the reader could choose the quality level they like. Maybe 3 of 4 levels. Most votes wins, or judgement call by the committee.

What would be next, at least to me, would be specialty and purpose made bits. For example door sets, spiral up or down cut, slot cutters, box cutting bits, finger joint bits, rabbeting bits of various types, matched sets.

Pricing would be tough and require ongoing maintenance, so I'd skip that.

It would also need to have a primer on various router types, not brands. All the safety and other information that Stiock has gathered should be linked. It's too much for a sticky post.

Any bit we post should have a sample of the cut it makes, and it wouldn't hurt to have this all in a pdf as well as a post. Making an illustrated sticky post would require a lot of detailed layout work. I built and keep expanding my 18 things in Word, then print to a pdf so I can update it. It is easier to put illustrations in that way. A Sticky will also gradually collect comments, so after awhile, it will be annoyingly long.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Thanks, Stick...the Rockler PDF on choosing bits has a lot of the topics I woud have wanted to cover...it is an excellent start and it could be even better if there were some experiences to go with it...for example, how to choose which of those bit categories should be purchased from whom. You've mentioned customer service, availability, return policy, etc...which are not covered in the PDF.

Can you put together a quick summary covering these things and more...? Greatly appreciated...

You don't need to narrate...just some bullet items that we can put words around later...

Thanks for adding to this...
but I did... (post #8)

Choosing Woodworking Equipment,Tools & Machinery
1st and most important, I look to the company...
evaluate their CS/TS and will they step up to the plate should there be issues...
see if they have a planned obsolesce program in force...
what will the company and their product do for me...
try to figure out if they will respect me in the morning...
no sense in buying something that can't be fixed a few years later, find repair parts for or get crap for support...

next the product...
quality..
availability..
will it have a long productive life...
will it do more than I need it to....
is it a good value...
will it protect my bottom line...
will it go the extra mile...
will it go obsolete or become disposable in short order...
tools and tooling that don't cut the mustard, suffer down time, hurt production and the bottom line need to left on the store shelf and avoided...
w/ trying most of the major brands and experiencing poor support/rapport from many and through the process of elimination I went w/ and favor Freud bits and tooling and Bosch routers...

Opinion

Both, Bosch and Freud's CS/TS is next level outstanding...
their products have proven to be a good value...
this goes for Whiteside bits and their CS/TS also...

Online reviews...

those I don't too much...
read a few too many that my VOE said other wise...
I prefer to use and abuse different brands and evaluate them myself and I pay attention at large job sites as to who has what and what, if any, issues they are having......
I think the testers should eval a tool and then put it in production mode for a few years and then do another eval..

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
BTW...did I mention you will be compensated for submitting ideas/input into this project...?

Yes...you will have the honor of writing up the section that you submitted. Think of it...you will be "published"...!

You will leave a legacy that will remain in the archives forever to be embedded in the minds of those who will take the advice you offered...

Can it get any more exciting...? You will forever be scribed in the annals of Routerforums history...!
can I get away w/ saying ''Bite Me'' here...
your thread Nick...
you be the editor/publisher.....

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One legitimate use for a flat screwdriver is tightening hose clamps, many of which still have a flat slot. They arealso very useful for opening a can of paint or wax. Try using a star or philips for that.

Having written a sticky on the 18 things, 10 pages long with pictures, I think this is an OK project but who knows if it will do any good. We could survey a list of brands and have everyone rate them. What would be a basic kit of high quality bits you buy individually. Say a kit of 6, another of 12 and possibly 18. This would be specific type of bit, 18 total, and then the reader could choose the quality level they like. Maybe 3 of 4 levels. Most votes wins, or judgement call by the committee.

What would be next, at least to me, would be specialty and purpose made bits. For example door sets, spiral up or down cut, slot cutters, box cutting bits, finger joint bits, rabbeting bits of various types, matched sets.

Pricing would be tough and require ongoing maintenance, so I'd skip that.

It would also need to have a primer on various router types, not brands. All the safety and other information that Stiock has gathered should be linked. It's too much for a sticky post.

Any bit we post should have a sample of the cut it makes, and it wouldn't hurt to have this all in a pdf as well as a post. Making an illustrated sticky post would require a lot of detailed layout work. I built and keep expanding my 18 things in Word, then print to a pdf so I can update it. It is easier to put illustrations in that way. A Sticky will also gradually collect comments, so after awhile, it will be annoyingly long.

Great topics, Tom, thanks...I will add your bullets (highlighted) and considerations to the initial outline (some have already been captured)...I'm hoping to have something out to you guys tomorrow/Monday ...this is already turning out to be a good turnout between Cherryville, Stick and yourself...I am in the process of writing up the "PURPOSE" of the document and will send that out for comments/suggestions sooner.

I agree about the maintenance and likely do as you suggest regarding the cost. I thought about that and wondered if ranges associated with the bits we discuss might be the answer...dunno, yet.

I have an idea about how to link to this but need to formulate better and then submit to Moderators and Admin for consideration...what has been done with yours and Stick's PDF's and writeups might fit that idea as well. Will let you know soon...

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
can I get away w/ saying ''Bite Me'' here...
your thread Nick...
you be the editor/publisher.....

Nope...not a chance...LOL...

...don't you want to go down in the annals of RF history...?

If I have to do the "words" you will have to submit to countless interviews...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts