Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with 1/2 inch collet extenders? I have a Freud FT2000 router and when using it in my router table the router is always nearly fully extended. This is with 1/2 to 3/4 inches of the bit in the collet. I would like to hear some feedback from people that have used collet extenders. My major concern would be run out. Please mention what brand collet extender your commenting about. I could get more extension from my router by removing the springs but I use it free handed. Also, in the table when fully extended, the router just about runs into the adjusting screws used to level the table insert. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Charlie, I have not used collet extenders. I know that companies sell them so they must work, but I am concerned about safety issues. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I have both a 1/4" and 1/2" one from MLCS (item #'s 9468 and 9464) I only use them at special time with with certain bits. They do work and I'm happy with this version..... I sent back another one that I did not like and paid more to get this pair.

Please check this post for more information:
www.routerforums.com/showthread.php?t=114

I want to also point out that these are long and in some cases the extra length is not an advantage..... If you do decide to go with this type and it dosn't work out for you the people at MLCS are really great about returns and have been one of the best places/people I have ever ordered from on the net. If you have catalog C-65 the extensions are on page 3. (www.mlcswoodworking.com)

I am a bit worried about the bit depth you are using..... I would not feel safe having only a 1/2" of a bit in the collet/chuck...... of course I'm not an expert on Freud routers so maybe they have a design that allows that?????????

If you want more information from me just ask, or from others as I know from other posts I'm not the only one using these.

Ed

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bot the extreme extender from woodpeck.com. Have a dW 625 and its base is too hijh to expose the full cutting eg\dge. The extreme extender was wonderful made it work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts