Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1/2 inch bit shank wont go all the way in. Haven't used my 3 1/4 HP Triton Router for some time & yesterday I was setting up to start working again but the bit shank still had about 1/4 inch to go in,but wouldn't .I cant remember this happening before & noticed this situation when I went to raise it 1/8 from the bottom of the collet.The router has been installed in my table ever since I got it.
I pulled the bit out & with a torch checked for foreign body & junk but apart from a little sawdust there was nothing to cause this problem. Has anyone ever seen this before or have I finally lost the plot? Jamesjj

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
James check the bit also may have small burr on it.
Take the collet out of router and see if the bit will slide thru.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
I really can't imagine what, other than debris, could cause this to happen James. The complete cure for all time is to replace the chuck with a MUSCLECHUCK, it makes bit change from the top even easier, plus only a 4mm ball ended Allan key is required to lock/unlock the bit and it is held with a grip several times that of a collet chuck .
As a matter of interest, if you turn to page 5 of the TRA001 hand book, you will see that it reads: "NOTE: When fitting cutters, ensure the shank is inserted fully into the collet"

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Harry,I'm about to purchase a Musclechuck for my Bosch router. Must see if it is interchangeable with the Triton. Will clean the collet out & get back to you.Thanks again,Jamesjj

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
So far as I know James Bosch takes a #4, the old* Triton the #11 and the new Triton the #8

* The old Triton does NOT have above table height adjustment whereas the new one does.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far as I know James Bosch takes a #4, the old* Triton the #11 and the new Triton the #8

* The old Triton does NOT have above table height adjustment whereas the new one does.
Thanks again Harry.I blew the dust out & wiped everything nice & clean & it's like new again.Also try-fitted a couple brand new unused bits & all is good. Wont need a Musclechuck for the Triton but definitely will for the Bosch.The "fly in the ointment"there is,the Bosch came with three collets but no half inch size.Jamesjj

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1/2 inch bit shank wont go all the way in. Haven't used my 3 1/4 HP Triton Router for some time & yesterday I was setting up to start working again but the bit shank still had about 1/4 inch to go in,but wouldn't .I cant remember this happening before & noticed this situation when I went to raise it 1/8 from the bottom of the collet.The router has been installed in my table ever since I got it.
I pulled the bit out & with a torch checked for foreign body & junk but apart from a little sawdust there was nothing to cause this problem. Has anyone ever seen this before or have I finally lost the plot? Jamesjj
John & Stick,thanks for your advice.Wasn't that much dust in the collet but just enough to cause a problem.All good again & to make sure it stays that way I stuffed a piece of rag (cheese cloth)down the table insert plate hole to stop any foreign object entering the collet. Jamesjj

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
"the Bosch came with three collets but no half inch size.Jamesjj"

I'm very surprised that there wasn't a 1/2" collet, I'm sure members more familiar with Bosch will jump in here.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bosch Router collet missing

Hi All,My Bosch Router came with no 1/2inch collet.I cant find any advice as to the reason .It has 3 collets ,1/4inch being the only one I have used, & 2 smaller collets.The model is POF1200 AE 240V,50hz,1200watts.IMO I don't think a 1/2 inch bit would fit in this particular model.Could someone offer a "bit" of advice about this router please & will I be able to buy a Musclechuck to fit it?? Thanks, Jamesjj

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
James, I've just been doing some searching on the internet and it appears that your router is for 8mm, 1/4" and 6mm only and in any case being only about 1.5 hp there will be many operations that it simply won't be able to cope with. Sorry for the outcome you didn't want.

By the way, because so many members talk about inserting the bit fully into the collet then withdrawing it 1/8" I thought I'd show you what the Bosch manual says:

"The shank of the router
bit must be immersed at least 20 mm into the collet."

Research that I did and posted some time ago amongst many router manufacturers clearly showed that inserting the bit in any collet chuck was optimum at 1", any further produced no benefit.

Reactions: hawkeye10

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
James, I've just been doing some searching on the internet and it appears that your router is for 8mm, 1/4" and 6mm only and in any case being only about 1.5 hp there will be many operations that it simply won't be able to cope with. Sorry for the outcome you didn't want.

By the way, because so many members talk about inserting the bit fully into the collet then withdrawing it 1/8" I thought I'd show you what the Bosch manual says:

"The shank of the router
bit must be immersed at least 20 mm into the collet."

Research that I did and posted some time ago amongst many router manufacturers clearly showed that inserting the bit in any collet chuck was optimum at 1", any further produced no benefit.
you know how propagate myths are Harry...
like the users of the grommet idea... clearly they haven't thought that through...
many of the better bit manufactures have a depth insert line etched on the shanks...
most all say what you said in their accompanying paperwork..
instead of the user RTFM they rather propagate myth.. because they ''heard''...

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
you know how propagate myths are Harry...
like the users of the grommet idea... clearly they haven't thought that through...
many of the better bit manufactures have a depth insert line etched on the shanks...
most all say what you said in their accompanying paperwork..
instead of the user RTFM they rather propagate myth.. because they ''heard''...
Far from propagating the myths I'm debunking them! Regarding the marked bits, is the line by any chance 1" from the end?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Far from propagating the myths I'm debunking them! Regarding the marked bits, is the line by any chance 1" from the end?
not you propagating Harry..
I'm w/ ya...
and yes on the 1''..
if there is no mark what's to stop you or any body else from putting one on...
marking gauge set to 1''... KISS/MISS..

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
"like the users of the grommet idea... clearly they haven't thought that through..."

Stick - can you elaborate why you think this is a bad idea?
sure...
the bit is still bottomed out and the grommet won't compress hardly at all no matter how thick it is...

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
not you propagating Harry..
I'm w/ ya...
and yes on the 1''..
if there is no mark what's to stop you or any body else from putting one on...
marking gauge set to 1''... KISS/MISS..
Sorry Marty, I misunderstood you. As for marking, again we agree, I use "O" rings, a bag full costs peanuts on Ebay.

Attachments

Reactions: hawkeye10

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Sorry Marty, I misunderstood you. As for marking, again we agree,
so let's go ride herd on some propagators..
it'll be fun..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.