Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Craftsman 1/2 hp Professional Model 315.275000. It came with both 1/4 and 1/2 collets-the 1/4 was installed. Recently purchased a set of 1/2 shank bits and need to know how to change collets. Any help appreciated :rolleyes:

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,960 Posts
Tim,

I'm unfamilliar with the router you have, but in my experience there are two main types of collet systems. The first, like the porter cable routers, have an integral nut and collet assembly. Undo the nut, the collet will come out, swap in the other size.

The other type I am familliar with is an older dewalt style, where the collet is not attached to the nut. Undo the nut, pull the smaller collet out, drop the newer collet in.

Sears should have at least an exploded view of your router on line, if not the entire owners manual should you need further advice.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Toolmantim. It appears as KP91 says. Remove the collet nut and the collet should come out. If you go to WWW.3.sears.com and type in your model number it will show you a parts list or you can select a diagram. The diagram shows a collet nut, but also looks like there is a screw thru the center of the collet which will have to be removed. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Was able to replace the collet today with the 1/2. The nut at the bottom center of the collet has right-handed...........left-handed...........turn right to loosen. Anyway, mission accomplished.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.