Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to routing, but already I've hit a snag. I have a Hikoki M12VE with two collets: 1/2" and 1/4", which I think roughly equates to 13mm and 6mm. I recently picked up an 8mm bit which I would like to be able to use. I was wondering if it would be an option to buy a collet reducer like the "Leigh Router Collet Reduction Sleeve - 1/2" to 8mm" from Axminster Tools, or whether I can swap the existing collet and chuck with an 8mm from any other brand e.g. Trend, Bosch etc.

Any help on this one is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Emlyn.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Okay, Emlyn, since no one else has yet addressed your question, I'll give it a shot. Caveat: I do not have any experience with your specific router, so take my advice for what it's worth (what you paid for it). First, if you determine that you will use 8mm shank router bits occasionally (most 1/2"), then the Leigh adapter should be fine. However, if you find that you're using several 8mm bits, it would be worthwhile investing in an 8mm collet. As far as I can tell, your Hikiko router is identical (other than voltage) to the Metabo/Hitachi M12VE sold in the States. It seems (but bears further scrutiny) that Hitachi part 325212 might fit your router. Alternatively, searching Amazon, it appears that Bosch, DeWalt, and Metabo/Hitachi/?Hikiko collets are interchangeable, so an 8mm collet for any of those other brands should fit your router, but again, further scrutiny is warranted. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@jdonhowe Many thanks for the pointers. As far as I know, Hikoki is the rebrand of Hitachi in Europe, so the Hitachi part might well work. The other collets may be worth a go too, so I'll look into this further.

Thanks again,

Emlyn.

·
Official Greeter
19,750 Posts
G'day Emlyn, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all,

I'm new to routing, but already I've hit a snag. I have a Hikoki M12VE with two collets: 1/2" and 1/4", which I think roughly equates to 13mm and 6mm. I recently picked up an 8mm bit which I would like to be able to use. I was wondering if it would be an option to buy a collet reducer like the "Leigh Router Collet Reduction Sleeve - 1/2" to 8mm" from Axminster Tools, or whether I can swap the existing collet and chuck with an 8mm from any other brand e.g. Trend, Bosch etc.

Any help on this one is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Emlyn.
Although the best solution is to use an appropriate chuck for the router bit you are using, an sleeve will work fine. Pay attention as no a such sleeves are created equal: just be sure you get a good quality one.

Actually, for a couple of decades I used a reduction sleeve from 12 mm to 8 mm with my Hitachi TR12. My dad made me the sleeve almost 40 years ago as he had a machine shop available for him.

Regards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts