Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Moving forward with making my new router table. Got the Porter cable router motor today but the OEM collet wrenches that came with it are really poor quality. so I am looking for some replacements.

I know some of you really like the Muscle Chuck but there is no money in the budget for it. I have some open end wrenches that I use on my tractor but I would have to grind one of them down and that would weaken it for tractor use. Besides that they are fairly bulky for using on the router.

To get to my question: Rockler, Woodcraft, Peachtree and I am sure others all sell offset router wrenches. Those of you that have the offset wrenches, which brand do you prefer?

Thanks

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,945 Posts
If it's the same collet as my 890 and 690 porter cables, it's a 1-1/8 wrench. You can find them at woodcraft and rocker, or look for low profile or thin head wrenches at the hardware store.

I have a full size combination wrench I have ground a little thinner, because the stamped wrenches slip on the arbor nut. The wider wrench is more comfortable to use

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
My router and plate just sit on the rabbet around the hole so that I can remove it to change bits. That eliminates the need for an offset wrench. Even though I switched to a Musclechuck I still take it out to loosen it. It’s just easier that way. That’s assuming you aren’t using a lift with that router.

Reactions: Charlie68

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I know I bought a set for my Bosch 1617EVKS and just Googled for chuck wrenches for that router and got plenty of results. Choose from there.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
My router and plate just sit on the rabbet around the hole so that I can remove it to change bits. That eliminates the need for an offset wrench. Even though I switched to a Musclechuck I still take it out to loosen it. It’s just easier that way. That’s assuming you aren’t using a lift with that router.
tappet wrench for the shaft..

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually I am using a lift. I don't need the offset, I just need a better wrench. The PC 7518 is a hog to lift out of the table port. I have a set off Rockler offsets for my Bosch. They are okay, small and easy to use but the horror stories about the jaws screws falling into router motor concern me. I am going away from the Bosch so that concern is going too.

Growing up on the farm I thought I knew about most tools but have not heard of a tappet wrench. I will have to do an internet search on tappet wrenches.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it is like this. I really want to handle the wrench before I buy it. If it is stamped or 18 inches long like my tractor wrenches, I think I will deal with what I got. I live in the middle of ranch and farm land and apparently the locals have no need for tappet wrenches.

NAPA - never had heard of a tappet wrench
Oreilly's Auto parts -never had heard of a tappet wrench
Carquest- Sales person knew what they were but had never sold any and had no idea where to get one. Maybe Snap On tool he thought.

On line Menard's, Lowes, Home Depot, Northern Tool, and Harbor Freight either had nothing or over 2000 items to search thru if I searched "tappet wrench"

Using "thin wrench" got me better results so I will try the local Napa and Oreilly's tomorrow for "thin" wrenches. I am sure Snap On has them but they only do wholesale to local mechanics around here.

I guess if need be I should be able to grind down a crowfoot and use it with a short breaker bar.

Thanks every one for your efforts.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Well it is like this. I really want to handle the wrench before I buy it. If it is stamped or 18 inches long like my tractor wrenches, I think I will deal with what I got. I live in the middle of ranch and farm land and apparently the locals have no need for tappet wrenches.

NAPA - never had heard of a tappet wrench
Oreilly's Auto parts -never had heard of a tappet wrench
Carquest- Sales person knew what they were but had never sold any and had no idea where to get one. Maybe Snap On tool he thought.

On line Menard's, Lowes, Home Depot, Northern Tool, and Harbor Freight either had nothing or over 2000 items to search thru if I searched "tappet wrench"

Using "thin wrench" got me better results so I will try the local Napa and Oreilly's tomorrow for "thin" wrenches. I am sure Snap On has them but they only do wholesale to local mechanics around here.

I guess if need be I should be able to grind down a crowfoot and use it with a short breaker bar.

Thanks every one for your efforts.
hard to believe

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=tappet+wrenches&atb=v96-1&ia=web

·
Registered
185 Posts
After you purchase something cheaper than the Muscle Chuck, start saving your coins for the Muscle Chuck. I did and have not regretted it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have two Rockler FX router lifts and the collet raises above the table if I remove the insert. You are right the PC wrenches and/or wrench and the button are cheesey. I ordered from ebay.com two 1/4 inch thick PC wrenches. I like the wrenches because they a solid steel and being 1/4 inch thick I dont have to worry about them slipping off and/or bending.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've never heard the name of that wrench before. I seen em, used em, just never heard that name. All the tappets I have adjusted were with a socket.

Imagine setting them on an old flathead engine where you had to reach in through a panel on the side of an engine . That's where the name originated.
Should have named em Flathead wrenches. 🙂
I've only done hydraulic small block Chevys.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have two Rockler FX router lifts and the collet raises above the table if I remove the insert. You are right the PC wrenches and/or wrench and the button are cheesey. I ordered from ebay.com two 1/4 inch thick PC wrenches. I like the wrenches because they a solid steel and being 1/4 inch thick I dont have to worry about them slipping off and/or bending.
I hate my stamped PC wrenches because they fit so sloppy. Gonna check the pawn shop for some real wrenches.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am glad I am not the only one who had not heard of a tappet wrench. Thank you all again for your help

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
If your are talking about the insert plate screws, use a button magnet on the screw driver to hold them until they are in place again.I broke down and just got musclechucks for my tables, I have the same router you do.

Herb

1 - 20 of 25 Posts