Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a new project and thought I'd give you a little teaser as well as a look at how I went about making part of it.

My project required a wood piece about 3 1/2" tall x 4" deep x 3" wide that could be sculpted into a shape. Plus, I needed access to the interior and the bottom needed to have a curve that was deep on one side and shallow on the other. A sandwich of four pieces of 3/4" pine seemed like the best solution.

To cut the curves smoothly and make them the same, I made a pattern jig out of some 1/2" MDF with a couple of handles from 1" dowel. The curves were rough cut close to the line on the bandsaw and then finished on the router table. The handles gave me an easy way to control the pieces while routing and kept my fingers well away from the 1/2" spiral pattern bit. The two nails in the pattern kept it attached to the stock while routing.

Even though it took me longer to make the jig than to cut the actual curves, the time investment was worthwhile to get consistent, smoothly finished pieces safely. The four individual pieces were sandwiched together with double-sided tape to sculpt the shape the combination was later glued together after [REDACTED] was done on the inside.

Here's a look at the final sculpted piece. Stay tuned to this station for more. :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
well done Mr Tease..

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Has Wylie ordered yet?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
OK, I, too, am interested!

Meep, meep!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Got my curiosity up. I am going to just sit here quietly and see what it is.
Good job Oliver.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there a drawer incorporated in the sculpture?
Nope. No openings at all. Here's another clue that probably won't help much but is a key part. :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Baited breath is all I can add.

Always a fun post.
you that hungry...
the bait is for the fish and critters...
not you...

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
you that hungry...
the bait is for the fish and critters...
not you...
Agree, so much for spell checker, that should have been "bated" and I missed it. So, I'm still waiting or is that waiting still or perhaps waiting by the still. The latter has more possibilities.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Agree, so much for spell checker, that should have been "bated" and I missed it. So, I'm still waiting or is that waiting still or perhaps waiting by the still. The latter has more possibilities.

you wait...
the rest of us'll get right down to brass tacks....

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I'm gonna wait and see. No way I'm begging to know :D

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Forget the groveling...I'm going to engage in the SWAG process...it's a dog head and the ears are going to flop over and stand up.

Yup! That's SWAG #1, others to follow as Oliver throws out his clues.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
SWAG = Stupid Wild Arsed Guess???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts