Router Forums banner
1 - 1 of 6 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Hi Everyone.. new to this. I'm working on a van and have to cut out some replacement panels with curves and rounded corners. I'm thinking of getting a small compact router - something like 1.5 hp - and get a bit to trace out the old panels. My thought is to clamp the old panel on the new birch ply and trace it out.

Would that work?
Is using a compact router good enough?
What kind of bit should I use for smooth edges without splinters?

Will lightly sand and then waterproof the panels after everything is cut out.

Thanks in advance. I appreciate the help! frank!
Now, first off I'm not an expert on router work as I mainly use hand tools. However that be, my experience in situations like this is: If your pattern is to be on the top with the face of your work piece also on the top I would use a downward cutting spiral cutter with the guide bearing on top. If you can't do this, place the work piece face down and use an up cutting bit. Does this make sense?
1 - 1 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.