Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needing a new plunge router. Any ideas on which brand is best between triton, bosch, and porter cable. Need a 3 1/4 hp. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
John
6,941 Posts
Hi John welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome to the forum John. Old PCs are good but some feel they are not as good now that they have been bought out. And they are heavy. Bosch, Triton, Hitachi, Makita, DeWalt, Milwaukee, and some Sears routers are good. You should shop around stores that carry them and see how they feel to you as all of them are different in that respect. I could recommend one to you that doesn't feel right for you.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,359 Posts
Welcome to the forum John.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Welcome John.

What is your primary focus for the use of this machine? Table mount? If so, with or without a lift? I tend to favor Bosch routers, but if I was going to do a 3.25 hp table mounted, Triton would get a hard look based on the writings of others. What fits you and your work is what will work best for you.

earl

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have several routers and I like the Triton best and all of my routers are plunge types.

By the way, manufacturers and folks always talk of 3 1/4 hp routers and 6.25 hp shop vacuums. Years ago there was an interesting article in Fine Woodworking Magazine. The article said those advertised power is peak horse power. It said when the motor is running and you jam a metal rod into the motor, the instant prior to it exploding is peak - when the motor is drawing the most power. It said to calculate actual horse power you multiply the volts (110) times amps (15) = 1,650 and divide by 1,000 you get the actual horse power 1.65 - about 1 5/8 hp.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I have several routers and I like the Triton best and all of my routers are plunge types.

By the way, manufacturers and folks always talk of 3 1/4 hp routers and 6.25 hp shop vacuums. Years ago there was an interesting article in Fine Woodworking Magazine. The article said those advertised power is peak horse power. It said when the motor is running and you jam a metal rod into the motor, the instant prior to it exploding is peak - when the motor is drawing the most power. It said to calculate actual horse power you multiply the volts (110) times amps (15) = 1,650 and divide by 1,000 you get the actual horse power 1.65 - about 1 5/8 hp.
Actually, you divide by 746, and the nominal voltage these days is 120VAC. That gives you 1800 watts, and 2.41 HP. Of course, that is just power consumption with a very basic calculation. Doesn't take into account power factor, motor efficiency, and such. And no, they don't jam metal rods into the motor to measure peak HP.. I won't even go further down that trail.

All that said, and it's been said many times by many people, 3 1/4 class router are still more powerful than most 2- 2 1/4 HP router, which are still more powerful than 1 - 1 1/2 HP routers.

So as long as all the manufacturers rate there routers the same way(and for the most part, they more or less do), advertisers will be advertisers, but it becomes somewhat a moot point.

That said my 3 1/4HP pick would be between the Hitachi M12V2, M12VE, or the Bosch 1619.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I like Hitachis too. Smooth and powerful and come with a 5 year warranty. I have an M12V and an M12V2. The M12V has ears to attach the plate that accepts guide bushings and the ears prevent raising and lowering really large bits through the opening. I've heard the M12VE has that too. The M12V2 doesn't have the ears and will allow large bits through the opening. It also has a nut on the end of the adjustment knob that will allow above table adjustments with a 14 or 15mm socket and the springs remove easily. I think Hitachi made a solid effort to design the M12V2 for the table.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
All good suggestions, especially Charles' about holding your selections in your hands. Always a good practice.
Don't think you could go wrong with any one router of those mentioned, except the PC. I have the PC 7518 motor only in a RT. I wouldn't even think about using that beast hand held.
No one has mentioned Freud. I have the F2000 and I really like it. Their newer ones look and feel nice, but I've never actually used one.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have the Hitachi M12VE and Makita RP2301FC.
Hitachi M12VE goes to the router table and have worked with RP2301FC.
Have I miss Hitachi M12VE.
Much better for working on hand.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the information. I am sort of limited on the ability to handle different routers but will read more and keep looking. Am really enjoying reading the different types of information in the forums.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
For what it's worth, the December 2013 issue of WOOD magazine (pgs 52-57) has a deetailed review of "3 - hp routers".

Cheers
Jon

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
This is a really tough question. All the routers work and each individual must choose the one that feels right for them. The Triton is nice if your router is dedicated to your table. It is too top heavy for free hand work. The Bosch is the only model with a spring defeat feature for table mounted use; it is very comfortable to use free hand. The PC is very smooth to use free hand but falls a bit short for table mounted use. The Hitachi M12VE is the lowest priced of the bunch and a good all around router. The Bosch MRC23EVSK draws 15 amps like the other routers and lets you mount the fixed base to your table and pop the motor out and into the plunge base for free hand work. The Makita is also very smooth to operate. No question that the Festool is the top of the line but it is really overkill for the typical home woodworker. It really depends on how you plan to use the router.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts