Router Forums banner

Completed Hall Table

5K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  Nickp 
#1 ·
Finally completed the hall table for wife. This is the first time I glued up Walnut and had a slight "cup" in the finished board. When I used the round over bit in the router, I did not have a reveal in the middle of the board on both ends. The cup was about 1/16", so I clamped a 2x4 about 1 foot from the end to flatten the top. I ran though the router table again was able to get the reveal I wanted. The cup was not bad as you cannot see it unless you lay a straight edge across the board. Top is 14" deep and 48" long. Wife already has it loaded with "stuff".

Frank

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
I really like your table..
a lot..

#12 ·
sweet and good looking

We have to pay through the nose for walnut here in the UK a piece of walnut last week Rough timber 400x200x30mm was £30.00 so in dollars it would be 37.00.

Hell just seen the exchange rate 1.20 dollar to the pound and I think last year it was 1.74 dollar to the pound

James

#13 ·
James,

Many years ago I bought around 1000 board feet of walnut for $400. This is why many of my projects are made from Walnut. Also, I like working with it and the look of it. My boards are 3x, 4x, 5x and some 6x. The second dimension varies by board. I have to resaw, joint, plane and sand each board to complete a project. Even though the pile is going down, I should have enough material to use until I cannot work in the garage any longer.

To All on those commenting:

Thank for kind remarks.

Frank

#20 ·
Frank I don't see a thing wrong with that table. It will settle into the house environment and might flatten the slight cup but it really is not noticeable.

Nice clean design and beautiful finish job.

#25 ·
Steve,

I use Rockler’s General Finish, ARM-R-SEAL Urethane satin finish. The first two coats are same finish except gloss. The last coat is Satin. This process was recommended by a worker at Rockler. He said the gloss will help show the wood grain. If you compare gloss and satin finish in the can, you can see the satin is more cloudy. I sand with 320 between coates.

Frank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.