Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
Frank
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had under the table saw dust collection for years using a Penn State DC-250 dust collector. Under the saw I used Rockler's Table Top Dust Hood, item number 26412, mounted under the saw in the cabinet. A 4" hose is connected at the back of the saw. See the first two pictures. The other picture show the above saw collection system which is found in a you tube video by Jim Jackson. I purchased the Rockler Universal Dust Collecting Port, item number 63508. I found that the amount of air moving at the dust collection hood was lacking. I stuck my hand up the hood and found that I have ample air movement, so my first solution was to add a this wall 4" plastic pipe in the center of the hood. It worked, but my visibility was reduced, so I thought that I would just eliminate the hood. You can see this in the pictures. It worked as I wanted and my visibility is better and a lot of the overhead sawdust is being collected.

Frank

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
What a difference collection above the blade makes, eh? I popped for a Shark Guard and added a 4"/2 1/2" splitter so I now have both above the blade and below the blade removal as well. The over arm method you're using makes a lot of sense and is a really good option to keep cost moderate. I have an over-arm type collector sitting in a box that one of these days I'll likely sell.

Any collection device must stop the swarf that comes over the top of the blade. Not always so easy since it's coming out at close to 100 mph. Not much time for the air flow to catch them. The Shark guard stops these with an angled lucite block that reaches almost to the table or workpiece. Even then, a little bit of sawdust still gets away. Can you drop your collector down to just above the table or workpiece, or is the height fixed?

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I'm looking at doing something to mine to catch what's getting thrown in my face. My original concept was similar to yours except I was going to hang it from four hooks in the ceiling and on chains which would allow some movement and height adjustment then I though I might be better with an overarm type. I would be interested to hear a full review of your effort Frank with what you find to be the pros and cons.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
The Sawstop system works well except when you are taking just barely anything off. Of course there's no pickup when the sled is used either because the overhead isn't installed as it also has the riving knife and guard.

·
Premium Member
Frank
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom,

The Rockler bracket allows for up and down movement. It also has a knuckle that allows you to swing up 90 degrees to get out of the way if necessary. The track on the ceiling allows me to move the table saw forward if I am ripping longer lengths. With the track, I can move the hood over the blade. The only movement not available is side to side. This is generally not a problem.

Steve,

Will post an update as I continue to use it and learn more about how it works.

Frank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts