Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to gain space in shop cart will be storage and table saw. I have been working on this for 6 months. I decided the saw height was to low. So put 2 2 x 4 blocks on all four corners to raise up another 3 inches. Still have to permanently mount saw square to plat form. Working on a support to give me more support in front of the blade. Need a grove for miter slot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Are you looking for a groove in the front or rear? The rear outfeed table doesn't need one but the table has to sit at the same height as the saw. The way it looks a board won't be able to get past the lip on the outfeed table. The miter gauge would never be used on anything as wide as a groove behind the table would allow. It's not a good idea to use an infeed table because you will be too far away from the blade and won't have as much control.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
In most cases, extending a groove in line with the miter slots in your saw table is a good idea, because the bar portion of your miter gauge needs to extend into this area before the head of the miter gauge passes the highest point of your saw blade. These grooves need to be slightly deeper and wider than the bar on your miter gauge, so saw dust and small debris won't bind the miter gauge bar as it moves into these grooves. I have also added a large hole at the extreme end of the slots in my outfeed table, so saw dust and debris will fall through this hole and not build up at the end of the slot. I try to keep my saw and outfeed table clean, but absolutely do not want my miter gauge binding up and totally free to use well past the cutting point of anything that I push through the saw using the miter gauge.

For an infeed table, you don't usually need one, but a small one that can be installed and removed easily can be very beneficial. Mine even has a groove for the miter gauge, just like the over size groove in my outfeed table, but it runs the full front to back dimension of my infeed table. This infeed table has a cleat on the bottom of it that fits the slot between my fence rail and the saw table, so when in place it is flush with the surface of my saw table. When cross cutting work that is wider than the space between the saw blade and the front edge of the saw table, this table extension becomes very handy. It's shape is much like that of a grand piano, long where the miter gauge slot is, but shorter where I need to be standing. Again, it lifts off easily when not needed. I laminated the top of mine with a scrap of counter top laminate, so the miter gauge and work slide easily over it. One of these is very handy to have when cutting larger pieces on a smaller saw that doesn't have the saw blade set back from the front edge of the saw table a sufficient distance. I've made my infeed table. I have never seen a manufactured one for sale, likely because it needs to fit the saw and fence rail space, which is frequently different on many saws. Izzy Swan has posted a video on YouTube about making these, and his are much like the ones that I have. They are quite easy to make.

Charley

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No only about 6 or 8 inches which is about what you lose from front of the saw blade these small saws like dewalt. Just adding dado slots for back support for mite gauge.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Still, you might want to consider making something like this some day. It has proven quite handy for me, although I admit that I only use it a couple of times a year, but those times it has paid for itself several times over now. I wouldn't buy that kit. It's just too easy to make one, and way cheaper. Keep the idea in your head so you can make one when you discover the need. I did without for years, but I'm sure glad that I broke down and made mine about 10 years ago and thank myself every time that I get it out to use.

I like your cabinet design. Sorry that I didn't say so earlier. Those who have a small saw would discover how much better the use of their saw is if they would just build something like this for their saw. Are you going to put drawers in it? Maybe one under the saw to catch the sawdust would be good. One under the side table could be used to store blades, pushers, etc. and keep them with the saw so they are easy to find when needed.

Charley

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes ChareyL this is basically what I am going to do. Yes plan on adding drawers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts