Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time user of the forum. Am currently being frustrated by the lack of adequate coping jigs or sleds. I bought one from Rockler, but I think I should have bought the one with the tab that rides in the 3/4" slot for the miter gauge. I was scared off by the price. Doesn't it always go this way? You try to save a buck and end up spending double in the long run because the tool you thought you couldn't afford was really the best value all along.

Looking for simple designs for jigs that will enable me to cut squarely (on the first try) the ends of rails and stiles for cabinet doors. Thanks in advance from Old Town, Maine. :eek:

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi

I will say you don't need one, here's a way that will put most sleds to shame..

To put the profile on the ends of the stock start with wider stock, lets say you want the parts to the door to be 2 1/2" wide, use 5 1/2" wide stock, chuck up the bit and zero out the bit with the bearing than use a 6" wide push block(some 2 x 6 wood stock) and push the stock by the bit, than switch out the bit to the next bit, now mill the long side of the door parts now do the same thing to the long parts of the door, once you have them done take them to the table saw and rip the wide stock to 2 1/2" wide, you now have all 4 parts to the door frame...and all done without a sled.. :)

Here's one more trick that will save you hours of work, see the PDF file in the link below.

http://www.routerforums.com/router-...ot-bottom-out-your-router-bit.html#post154119

========

==========

First time user of the forum. Am currently being frustrated by the lack of adequate coping jigs or sleds. I bought one from Rockler, but I think I should have bought the one with the tab that rides in the 3/4" slot for the miter gauge. I was scared off by the price. Doesn't it always go this way? You try to save a buck and end up spending double in the long run because the tool you thought you couldn't afford was really the best value all along.

Looking for simple designs for jigs that will enable me to cut squarely (on the first try) the ends of rails and stiles for cabinet doors. Thanks in advance from Old Town, Maine. :eek:

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the router forum. Thank you for joining us.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bobj3,

Great idea! I get 4 perfectly coped ends with one rip and one crosscut. Brilliant. The pieces are long enough going through the router that I can use the miter guide to keep them square to the fence. Thanks a million.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
thanks and You're Welcome

=======

bobj3,

Great idea! I get 4 perfectly coped ends with one rip and one crosscut. Brilliant. The pieces are long enough going through the router that I can use the miter guide to keep them square to the fence. Thanks a million.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Welcome to the RouterForums community STF.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts