Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
That's a hard one to answer! I need to know the size and thickness of the wood, the size of the project. I would then more than likely run some letters, and look at the size, and if it will be properly sized to be seen. Smaller letters will use a smaller cut, and so on. That is what I find Myself doing, nd it works the best! Have fun!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I agree with Howard - adjust the bit depth based on the size of the lettering, and plan the thickness of the stock accordingly. This can vary based on the style of lettering, as well - i.e., whether the lettering is raised or inset, and whether it will be accentuated by paint or stain. One-inch lettering might require only 1/8" or so, 3"-4" might work with 1/4" depth, larger lettering might need 1/2" or more. In general, I like to keep the depth of cut to 1/3 the thickness of the stock, or less.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Woody

I suggest 1/8" deep the max,if you look at a hand carved sign with chisels most are 1/8" deep the max,it's not how deep is how it is design...they will always stand out both ways.. :)

========

Hi,
Whats the best depth for setting a cut bit for lettering?
Thanks!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Agreed, recommended depth is 3mm. which is equivalent to one eighth inch, if you try to go to more depth you will find router chatter develops so that the finish is not clean and smooth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts