Router Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I'm looking for countersink for wood that is sharp enough to work on just plain old #2 pine. I've bought a set of Hitachi 1/4" through 3/4", thats all I could find a the big box stores. They work good when put in a drill press and really lay down hard on the press. But when using a hand drill I just can't get the depth that I need. I've run the drill slow and fast and nothing works. :( It is for #12 flat head screw. I know if anyone can help it will be you pro's:D
Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
587 Posts
Take a look here - countersinks to do whatever you need them for:

McMaster-Carr

I have a selection from there and use them for metals as well as wood. I also have a couple of seldom used drill point CS's - but they will grab in soft wood and you will end up way too deep - real quick!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes Lee Valley's. We go to the shed to escape the chatter so a 'chatter free' countersink is the way to go. :lol:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys, Thats what I get for getting in a hurry. The big box stores I went to the largest tapered that they had was for a #10 screw. I guess I just need to slow up and order what I need.
Thanks Again,

·
Registered
156 Posts
My experience has been the cross hole sets do a better job unless you have a drill press in which case the previous suggestions all make sense.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Best I have ever used.

:confused: I'm looking for countersink for wood that is sharp enough to work on just plain old #2 pine. I've bought a set of Hitachi 1/4" through 3/4", thats all I could find a the big box stores. They work good when put in a drill press and really lay down hard on the press. But when using a hand drill I just can't get the depth that I need. I've run the drill slow and fast and nothing works. :( It is for #12 flat head screw. I know if anyone can help it will be you pro's:D
Thanks a bunch
Hi Gene, some time ago I got disgusted with the countersinks I had, I started digging and came up with these. You can find a most online woodworking outlets and Amazon. They are called Snappy, and are the best I have ever used. Set goes up to #16 wood screw. You can also purchase individual sises. They work great in a hand drill or press, and cut cleanly and fast.

Snappy Drill Bits (Made in the USA) - YouTube

and at Amazon,

Amazon.com: QUICK CHANGE 5 PC. COUNTERSINK DRILL BIT SET BY SNAPPY: Home Improvement

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Gene, some time ago I got disgusted with the countersinks I had, I started digging and came up with these. You can find a most online woodworking outlets and Amazon. They are called Snappy, and are the best I have ever used. Set goes up to #16 wood screw. You can also purchase individual sises. They work great in a hand drill or press, and cut cleanly and fast.

Snappy Drill Bits (Made in the USA) - YouTube

and at Amazon,

Amazon.com: QUICK CHANGE 5 PC. COUNTERSINK DRILL BIT SET BY SNAPPY: Home Improvement
Thanks Dick, I check out the You Tube and the Amazon listing. I put the set listed on my wish list.
Thanks Again:thank_you2:

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,225 Posts
Thanks to all who suggested the Lee Valley countersinks. I too have been frustrated with the chatter I get from my countersink. I think the Lee Valley version is just what I've been looking for.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
you won't regret it they are sweet...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts