Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My latest carvings to come off the bench. These are from a very old classic animal carving book. Fun little projects. Painted with thinned acrylics and finished with satin finish poly. I really like doing animals.

Corey

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. They are fun to do and paint up. Doyle, good northern basswood is the preferred carving wood for figure and animal carving. It's carves well and has mild grain, easily paints or stains and finishes. I would like to carve some butternut which most leave unpainted as it has a pleasing grain to it but a lot of hardwoods can be carved. Exotics don't work to well. Chip carvers do a lot of mahongany, cherry and walnut carving.

Corey

·
Registered
880 Posts
Corey, I second the Doc. Is there nothing you can't turn your hand to? They look so good, I can here them howlin' from here :D (Hope they don't mess on your carpet :eek: )

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi guys. Thanks for the comments. Haven't had a connection today. Anyway, they are not very big as carvings go but they are bigger than a penny :) the stock was 1 inch thick basswood. The howling one is about 3 1/2 inches tall and the other one is about 2 1/2 inches tall and 3 inches long I think. Doug 3ach took me about 4 - 5 hours to carve (remember I am a beginner :) ) and about hour in painting and finishing on each.

Doc and Geordie, Bob Noles really is responsible for me getting into carving. I had been wanting to do it for a long time and he pushed me over the edge and now it is dominating my time... and I love it. I really like doing the animals and the hound dogs are fun and I have some more detailed larger ones to do. Also have a baby fawn on the bench cut out. Hobo's are something I have always admired so I want to do some hobos.
Thanks again guys!
Corey

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hey Bud

You did a great job on the dog and I came across the items below and with your magic fingers you may want to make one like the one(s) below :) I'm going to make one of the them, for the JD kit just for kicks to hang in the shop...you just never know when it would come in handy.. :)

-------=======

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.