Router Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to buy a fixed-base router for use in my Craftsman "Professional" router table - which has a 1/4" thick metal adapter plate for mounting non-C'man routers.

The heaviest bit I expect to use puts a bullnose (semicircle) profile onto 3/4" thick stock; I will use that on oak. I may also use it occasionally for fingerjointing. My question is, seeing that the 02768 is rated at 2 HP but lists for only about $80, is this router adequate for such use, or do I really need to jump up to something like a Triton for three times the cost?

Background: I'm a very occasional woodworker. For several years I've owned both a plunge router (DeWalt 612 if I recall) and the Craftsman "Professional" router table They work reasonably well together (except that the DeWalt's switch won't lock "on"), but changing over the router from hand-held to table use, and back again is just inconvenient enough to "encourage" me to postpone quite a few jobs.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I don't know about that specific router, but I have a Craftsman 2-1/2 horse that I use alot. Previously being in the trades, I usually stayed with Porter Cable 890's, Makita's and Dewalt's... Another member here had swayed my original opinion enough to try them. There was this sale... and I couldn't pass it up.

Since then, I have been impressed with that router and looked at that brand in new light. a 2 HP might do you well, but I don't know what "you do" in the way of your projects and what your requirements are... those are usually personal to you.

What I would recommend is that you go to the store and handle it. Make sure your can comfortably chage the settings on it and find all the adjustments. Look at how it locks and how it would adjust through the RT plate. A few things going for it is that it will fit your table, and the RT adjustment wrench is included w/ the router right?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts