Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum.

I just started trying to use a Craftsman model 315.17491 1-1/2hp router that I have had for many years but just never used until now. I bought a new Porter Cable tongue and groove bit to make some cabinet doors and mounted the router on a Craftsman router table. The bit makes 1/4" cuts that are about 1/2" deep so it is a pretty good sized bit. When I installed the t&g bit and turned the router on, there was so much vibration that the motor started rising on its own even though the clamping wing nut was tightened as much as I could get it, thus completely throwing it out of the depth adjustment. Nothing I did could prevent this from happening and I have been experimenting for hours so the router and bit are useless for my project.

I switched to a smaller rabbiting bit and did not get the vibration problem.

So the question is whether the bit is too large for this router and/or incompatible for whatever reason or is something wrong with the router or the bit. Is 1-1/2hp too small and weak to run such a bit smoothly?

I spent a good amount of time with the Porter Cable people discussing the out-of-balance possibility of the bit but no resolution was reached.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello and greetings to the router forums, Dan

Well first of all the bit is not too large for the router but you definitely have a problem with collet or collet nut or you have a defective bit . If the router run smoothly no-bit in it, I'd be looking at the collet and collet nut or the bit

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Replace the bottom of the barrel bit set with a good set and I'm sure the error be gone..

===
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum.

I just started trying to use a Craftsman model 315.17491 1-1/2hp router that I have had for many years but just never used until now. I bought a new Porter Cable tongue and groove bit to make some cabinet doors and mounted the router on a Craftsman router table. The bit makes 1/4" cuts that are about 1/2" deep so it is a pretty good sized bit. When I installed the t&g bit and turned the router on, there was so much vibration that the motor started rising on its own even though the clamping wing nut was tightened as much as I could get it, thus completely throwing it out of the depth adjustment. Nothing I did could prevent this from happening and I have been experimenting for hours so the router and bit are useless for my project.

I switched to a smaller rabbiting bit and did not get the vibration problem.

So the question is whether the bit is too large for this router and/or incompatible for whatever reason or is something wrong with the router or the bit. Is 1-1/2hp too small and weak to run such a bit smoothly?

I spent a good amount of time with the Porter Cable people discussing the out-of-balance possibility of the bit but no resolution was reached.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Official Greeter
19,737 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for joining us, Dan.

Just a reminder that you do not need 10 posts to upload your photos to the forums. Click the go advanced button and you will find a button that says manage attachments. Select this and you will be able to upload your photos.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.