Router Forums banner

Craftsman 2 hp 10 amp Digital Router - stuck baseplate screws

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  seahawk65 
#1 ·
Folks,

I have tried to purchase the Craftsman 2 hp 10 amp Digital Router twice.
The first time I had it shipped to the store, shipment and store pickup was
Very smooth. When I got it home, I tried to remove the screws holding the
base faceplate with no luck. I tried power tools and WD40 … nothing
would budge those screws.

So I returned it to the store, but they did not have a replacement. I came back
To the store a week later, they had one in stock, so I asked the sales guy to
Open the box and try to get the screws off , he tried several tools on hand but
no luck he could not move those screws.

I really like the features on this router, especially the LED lights and the
Digital display.

Does anyone know about this issue?
I am considering the:
Mastercraft 12A Plunge Router with Digital Display, any thoughts about that router ?

Thanks,

-Fred

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Fred - I'm in Ireland and Craftsman tools aren't sold here, so I have no experience of the particular router. I do have decades of experience of stuck screws and general engineering mechanical problems.
Taking a wild guess at it, it may be the case that Craftsman use a thread-locking compound to prevent the screws vibrating loose. Those compounds are unlocked with heat, but obviously you can't apply a gas torch to your router. I would try heating a (sacrificial) screwdriver to dull red, and holding it in the screw head with a pliers, for a few minutes, so that the heat is conducted into the screw, then try it with a perfectly fitting screwdriver.
Another approach - try getting the screws to move in the tightening direction rather than the undoing direction. A tiny bit of movement is still movement. If you can get it moving at all, use a drop of WD40 on the threads and rock it patiently back and forth for quite a while before asking it to come out.
Drastic approach - if you can get dry ice, warm up the whole tool to room temperature, then drop dry ice onto the screw to shock-shrink and contract it suddenly and thus break the bond between the screw and the casting. Doctors have dry ice for cryosurgery - ie treating warts and things, and here at least they have a spray-type thing that is very useful in mechanical engineering ;-) Vets have it for cattle insemination.

Another possible cause is steel screws in an aluminium casting reacting chemically with each other - that is plain bad engineering, but tricky enough to solve.

Your router is quite new, and presumably still under warranty, guarantee, statutory consumer protection or simple contractual 'fitness for purpose', so I wouldn't suggest that you attempt anything to jeopardise your rights.

Hope you get a few ideas from that.

#3 ·
Fred, I am sure the digital display looks nice but it really wont make any difference in the way the router works. The $100 Craftsman 2 hp combo kit is popular with many forum members, I believe it costs a bit less too?

#4 ·
Hi

A air inpact tool will take the screws right out ,easy//
OR
If you don't have one a hand type will work fine that you can get from any auto store for about 6.oo bucks..

===

#5 ·
I bought a similar router from Craftsman last year. I don't think it had a digital display, but I thought it would be a good router. I too had the problem with the screws. I returned it and looked for a different router. The router I bought was the next step up Craftsman router. The original one I bought had a black motor the step up had a red motor. I have been happy with the one with the red motor. No problems with the screws.

#6 ·
Yes, I had that problem. I didn't get the digital readout but the same power and amperage. Another forum member suggested that I try a manual impact driver from Harbor Freight for around $5.00.
I did just that and the screws came out with no problem.

Procedure:
Clamp the router base upside down securely to a workbench. Place the impact driver into the screw slot. Twist the driver in a removal direction applying some force to the screw. With a hammer, tap on the top of the driver. This causes more twisting leverage and forces the bit tighter into the screw slot.

I wanted to be able to change my base plates if needed and was afraid I would mess up the screws on my brand new tool, but things worked out rather well.

#7 ·
I continue to be impressed with the new cordless impact drivers. I have yet to find a screw I could not remove by first soaking in WD-40 and then using the impact driver. Good advice from JCJCJC to first try tightening the screw.
Well worth borrowing an impact driver if you do not already own one.

#8 ·
If all else fails I have always found that if you drill the head of the screws out, it relieves the pressure on the threads and they come out easy, of course who wants to have to replace screws on a brand new tool!! I have the same router and did not have quite that hard of a time, I just took my time and used a vice grip on my screwdriver and tightened the screw first then it would turn for me. Good Luck and I hope you don't have to drill out the head on the screws.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.