Router Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into an issue today that lead me to believe I'm going to need to buy a set of additional sub-bases for my fixed base router, in order to use some of my bits.

The opening in the standard base is only 1-1/4" and so will not accommodate the majority of my bits at this point. I do know that beyond a certain size, I should be using particular bits only in a table, and that's fine. When installed in my table, the insert rings let me use the larger bit, but I'd like the flexibility of being able to use the router freehand.

The bit I was using was the MLCS 3/8" roundover 1/2" collet, a pretty basic bit that I don't think would be unreasonable to freehand.

In looking around online, it looks like Sears may have discontinued their set of sub-bases. Does anyone know for sure and if so, are their alternatives that people have worked out?

Thanks for any and all input, please feel free to ask if more details are necessary
Matt

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Plenty of aftermarket usb bases available, some "universal" like the Milescraft (Milescraft 1201 Base Plate / Bushing Set for Routers - Power Router Accessories - Amazon.com), and easy enough to fabricate your own, Bill Hylton's "Router Magic" would be a great source (Router Magic: Jigs, Fixtures, and Tricks to Unleash Your Router's Full Potential: Bill Hylton: 9780875967110: Amazon.com: Books it's an excellent general resource as well.

Another consideration, Amazon.com: M.POWER CRB7 7-In-1 Router Jig: Electronics.

Our own Patrick Warner (Quillman here on the forums) has a great book as well, The Router Book: A Complete Guide to the Router and Its Accessories: Patrick Warner: 9781561584239: Amazon.com: Books, and builds a line of first class base plates.

Should be enough there to boggle the mind!!

earl

1 - 2 of 2 Posts