Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Craftsman router at an estate sale for $5, it works but there was no manual for it and the base is cracked and a bit warped.

The ID tag shows: Model 315.17350, 4.5 amps, 25,000 rpm

I cannot find a manual online. I'm hoping Ryobi or another company made it for Sears and someone may have that manual. I've looked for bases and so far nothing comes close to the original design.

The base is ~4 7/16 wide by ~3/8 deep. I'm finding a lot of 6" bases but the configurations don't match mine and I don't think I can rework them. I can try making a hard wood base or maybe find plastic that I can work with. Finding old stock would make life easier. I can post some photos if this will help, thanks

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Joe and welcome. Ryobi made everything that started with 315. You’ll have to find a used one for the base. Maybe on Craig’s list or eBay. Alternatively you could use it in a home made lift. Member Al B Thayer was selling plans for his version on eBay I think. There are probably other versions too. They clamp the motor only into a frame. I’m afraid old Sears routers are worth spending much on. As far as the manual goes, it won’t tell you much that’s helpful. You are better off just asking questions here.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,334 Posts
Welcome to the forum Joe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I was able to do a bit more research and found an exploded diagram of the router but the copy they provided is horrible, not much detail to the pic and no part number for the sub base.

I did find out that the 315.17351 "looks' to be about the same design as my 315.17350, so I now have one more option for parts. The manual would give me the part number so I could also search for that. This is why I'd like to find out if Ryobi made a sister model, they'd share the same parts and I'd have yet another model to look for.

An old eBay page shows the 17351 and you can see two small threaded holes on the metal case just below the depth of cut adj ring and Craftsman name. I am curious as to what their purpose was? I don't think it had a light or plastic shield attachment.

It may be old and not of any real worth $$$ wise but repairing it and having yet another "toy" in my collection at so cheap a price makes fixing it worth pursuing. Satisfaction in getting it to function properly is its own reward!

I'll keep looking for a manual, someone, somewhere, must have one even if it's the Ryobi version.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I checked through the Craftsman manuals on our site and there are a bunch of 315.17___ models but not that specific one. How much difference there is between them I don’t know. Most of them for sure had the adjustment ring. Maybe one or more are very close to that one. You can find them on out home page by clicking on the Routerforums logo at the top of the page and then scrolling down to that section.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts