Router Forums banner

Craftsman 315.175040 cutting guide

6K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  DaninVan 
#1 ·
My son started an Ariondack chair in school before Covid shut school down. I told him we'd build one at home so I bought material, etc & we built it. I wanted a more straight template cut from the original template from school and found a router would grant me that wish. I purchased this Craftsman from the local pawn shop in great condition and it worked well so far to round edges, trim cuts, etc.

I've been seeing all these other routers with guides but don't see anywhere a guide can be attached to this router? Is it possible to add one for straight cuts, etc?

I've researched but all I've come up with is manuals, no accessories.

Any ideas? After a few rounds with the router, I keep telling myself I think I found a new hobby. I'm glad I found this forum, lots of info available.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Welcome Kieth..

post a picture of router's base and post it..
your router was made by Ryobie if that will help.....

About your desire to learn... We have some light reading for you...
As in, we've put some helpful information together at this here link to help you get up and running in the world of routers... We hope it to be useful to you... Enjoy...
Do take some time and read the safety PDF's... PLEASE!!!
Blood and trips to the ER, we find, are very annoying... Not to mention – expensive...

#3 ·
Hey, Keith; welcome!
My old Craftsman (first) router...about 40yrs old I'm guessing, has a very simple edge guide accessory. No idea whether newer models maintained the same configuration; guide rod size and spacing. Both are pieces of info you need to include for any hope of getting one that works.

BUT, if you can find guide rod material you can certainly make one.

No need to make it exactly the same as his, it's the principles of the design that matter.

#7 ·
that takes a guide that mounts to the router as a sub base...
I believe Trend or Milescraft use to make one..

Reactions: DaninVan
#9 ·
Keith I've been doing all my routing freehand. My Bosch router and edge guide are never far apart. In my personal opinion the easy mounting of the guide is a cornerstone of router design. I hate to say it but you may have to consider popping for a new machine that has that feature. You can still use the Craftsman, with bearing style bits for edgework.
or make a new baseplate that has an adjustable edge guide. Install the DIY baseplate and leave it on.
We're here for ya! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.