Router Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy - would anyone have advise on where I may be able to find a replacement switch for this router that I purchased from Sears about 30 years ago? I last used it about 15 years ago and has sat dormant since. It is now completely dead and cord appears fine... I am assuming the switch is shot. I have tried going through the Sears channel for the part - but discontinued and not available seems to be as far as I got. The router is a Craftsman 150 (8.0 amp) model 315.244710 If I cannot easily find a replacement switch - I will buy a new router... or compact router. Thanks for any tips.

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
Welcome to the forum @THubic ..

If it is 30 yrs old, bin it and buy a new one. They have improved so much in that time, and have more features....IMHO

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
It could be that the switch has corroded over the years. If you can take it out, try cleaning it. If you can't get it to work, then you can simply bypass it and use either an aftermarket switch or connect the wires together and use a foot switch. You can get a cheap one at Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It could be that the switch has corroded over the years. If you can take it out, try cleaning it. If you can't get it to work, then you can simply bypass it and use either an aftermarket switch or connect the wires together and use a foot switch. You can get a cheap one at Harbor Freight.
I wouldn't recommend HF to homeless person.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Howdy - would anyone have advise on where I may be able to find a replacement switch for this router that I purchased from Sears about 30 years ago? I last used it about 15 years ago and has sat dormant since. It is now completely dead and cord appears fine... I am assuming the switch is shot. I have tried going through the Sears channel for the part - but discontinued and not available seems to be as far as I got. The router is a Craftsman 150 (8.0 amp) model 315.244710 If I cannot easily find a replacement switch - I will buy a new router... or compact router. Thanks for any tips.
I couldn't find that model in Ebay's database. Before trying to find another model that had the same switch, check the brushes. They could be stuck and not contacting the armature. I had a Makita grinder with that problem.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
There are things that you should avoid buying at Harbor Freight and things that you should buy. You can spend $60 dollars at Rockler and get a 15 amp foot switch that looks and functions the same as the 15 amp foot switch at Harbor freight. Both are made in China, The difference is that the Harbor Freight one sells for $14.00. The choice is up to the buyer. As I like to say a fool and his money are some party. Just look at someone at a marina paying $ 8.00 for a 60 cent bolt and ask him why.

Router Table Foot Pedal Power Switch | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware
Power Maintained Foot Switch (harborfreight.com)

·
Super Moderator
510 Posts
it's not a Craftsman, but, I have a few of the old B&Ds that have the trigger switch in the handle. When the switch died, I got a push-button switch from Radio Shack and re-wired it accordingly. (it is not a variable speed model). I used a lot of hot-melt glue on the inside of the handle to hold the switch in place. This was hundreds of hours ago and they are still working fine. (and so are the routers). Just tossing out a DIY-Fixit option.
Gas Machine Engineering Auto part Cylinder

Wood Household hardware Tool Composite material Rectangle

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The "easy" way to diagnose a failed AC powered tool is using one of the blinky/chirpy AC sniffer tools.

Follow the power through the cord to the switch.

It might be required to reverse the AC plug polarity, possibly even using one of those 3 prong to 2 prong cheater adapters w/ the ground fly lead.

+1 on failed switch disassembly for cleaning.

·
Registered
58 Posts
There are things that you should avoid buying at Harbor Freight and things that you should buy. You can spend $60 dollars at Rockler and get a 15 amp foot switch that looks and functions the same as the 15 amp foot switch at Harbor freight. Both are made in China, The difference is that the Harbor Freight one sells for $14.00. The choice is up to the buyer. As I like to say a fool and his money are some party. Just look at someone at a marina paying $ 8.00 for a 60 cent bolt and ask him why.

Router Table Foot Pedal Power Switch | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware
Power Maintained Foot Switch (harborfreight.com)
Likewise, Rockler's pack rack is currently $199. Grizzly's rack, very nearly the same without Rocker's exclusive gimmicks, is $83 in last year's catalog. Granted, there may be some items that look identical, but I was referring specifically to HF's brands of power tools such as what was being discussed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Howdy - thanks for the responses. With nothing to lose I did take the router casing apart to see if I could identify any issues.... it was dusty & cruddy.... cleaned and re-twisted the wiring connections... and boom... away she went. So now it seems to 'run' just fine. Thanks for the tips. What I now know is that I am missing a few important part to this router - considering the height adjustment system used (a large twisting ring & clamp). The model number is 315.244710 which I cannot find a manual or any information for... I did find information for model 315.174710 - which seems very close. Basically all parts seem obsolete and unavailable. So I think @jw2170 was accurate when he said - time to "bin it... and buy a new one". So now - I will shop (likely a Makita 18v Compact Router - for now. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
OH, the battery vs corded debate begins. Ask yourself where you plan on using the router that electricity isn't available. From my routing experience I can't think of one time or place, which to me means I would never go with a battery version.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Howdy - thanks for the responses. With nothing to lose I did take the router casing apart to see if I could identify any issues.... it was dusty & cruddy.... cleaned and re-twisted the wiring connections... and boom... away she went. So now it seems to 'run' just fine. Thanks for the tips. What I now know is that I am missing a few important part to this router - considering the height adjustment system used (a large twisting ring & clamp). The model number is 315.244710 which I cannot find a manual or any information for... I did find information for model 315.174710 - which seems very close. Basically all parts seem obsolete and unavailable. So I think @jw2170 was accurate when he said - time to "bin it... and buy a new one". So now - I will shop (likely a Makita 18v Compact Router - for now. Thanks again.
Cordless may be OK for a laminate trim job, but who isn't going with stone these days?

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are what are called "Harbor Freight diamonds", really good things for a good price. Posters on Woodnet Forums over the years have made lists of the good buys. You just have to be careful and do some research.

·
Registered
58 Posts
There are what are called "Harbor Freight diamonds", really good things for a good price. Posters on Woodnet Forums over the years have made lists of the good buys. You just have to be careful and do some research.
Thanks for the advise! After 50 yrs. of collecting tools, most of what they sell I already have by top brand manufacturers. Hopefully, your advise will reach the younger guys struggling for value in today's high performance, short life market on a limited and tightening by the day budget.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts