Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Newbie question..
Just looking at a well looked after old Craftsman router 25070 model and was wondering if it is just 1/4" or can it take 1/2" shafts?

And excuse my ignorance but why are there two different width shafts in routing?

thanks.
Paraic

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,333 Posts
Welcome to the forum Paraic.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hi
Newbie question..
Just looking at a well looked after old Craftsman router 25070 model and was wondering if it is just 1/4" or can it take 1/2" shafts?

And excuse my ignorance but why are there two different width shafts in routing?

thanks.
Paraic
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/222/4638.pdf

Judging from the parts breakdown, I'd say it's probably only 1/4" diameter bit capable. The reason for larger bit diameters is due to the size of bit (overall outside diameter) larger ones require larger shanks on the bits, to prevent the bit from shearing off during routing. Larger bits are much stronger, and can withstand the side load forces more adequately without flexing or breaking. That should be a good router for the general stuff, but you may want a more powerful router with removeable collets for the bigger projects.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Hi
Newbie question..

thanks.
Paraic
Yep, 1/4" on the old Craftsman router.

Why 2 shank sizes? Actually, there are several out there... both SAE and Metric!

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I have bits in shank sizes 6mm, 1/4", 3/8", 10mm, 12mm, and 1/2". And there are a lot more than that. Lots of CNC straight bits are the same size as the diameter and they use collets for each size, so if you are buying bits online it's a good idea to make sure what the shank size is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all
Thanks for the prompt and informative replies. I will go with this router for now to learn the ropes. It comes with the metal router table and is $50 with a few accessories and a bunch of 1/4 in bits. Good value I believe.

Paraic

1 - 6 of 6 Posts