Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to make a simple box (flush front), using the above Craftsman dovetail template. I have the manual and have read it a number of times in reference to set up. But every time I cut all the dovetails one corner never fits, when using the right side settings. What side and top stops should be set. The template I have has small like alan screws that has two on top and 2 on the front to set.

Any suggestions to fix this would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Official Greeter
19,121 Posts
G'day, and welcome to the forum, Scott..

From my earlier efforts, the trick is to make sure the board is even on the first and last finger. I set clamps to hols that position...

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,050 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
20,480 Posts
Not to discourage you, but I have given up on that jig. I bought one of the new type (Mine's a Katie Jig by Marc Sommerfeld), where you move the wood and jig, not the router. Much more intuitive. I'm sure there are some people here who can help you, and you might want to watch a number of YouTube videos on making dovetails on a PorterCable jig until you find one that you can follow. I had to make diagrams and label my jig because it's hard to remember the little tricks and details when you only use it occasionally.

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
I had to make diagrams and label my jig because it's hard to remember the little tricks and details when you only use it occasionally.
Exactly. I've not had to make diagrams yet, but any master, jig, or whatever, that I can't figure out how to use it by just looking at it, I use a felt tip marker, and I write every bit of information I even think I might need to use it. That way I can go out, and use a jig or whatever, and do it right the first time, even if it is ten years later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts