Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sure lots of you guys already have much nicer jig saws that this, but for some just starting out, or for the ones who maybe need to replace an aging saw but don't want to spend a lot on a tool you don't use all that often (cause I'm sure it isn't seeing the use your routers and table saws do), then you will be interested to know that this saw is worth much more than the price it is being sold for.

Currently at $30 from Kmart, sometimes on sale for $25, this saw cuts and has features like it should have been three times as much. First, it's not advertised but I found that this saw will accept either type of blade shank, T and U, both. This really helps because I like a certain type blade I can only find with U shanks. The saw comes with several T shank blades and is only advertised as using those, but trust me it works with both. It also has a quick release for the blade insert, no tools needed, and it actually works better and feels more solid than some others I've seen on other higher model Craftsman saws.

Other features include dial adjustable variable speed, a three position orbital lever for changing the aggressiveness of the cut, a nice large two finger trigger for ease of use, with a lock on button, vacuum attachment (only somewhat affective), an included edge guide, (and not a flimsy one either, this one is on par with the one that came with my C-man circular saw), two safety guards, one clear shield and one metal wire guard in front of the blade to help keep fingers out of the cut path, onboard blade and foot bevel adjustment tool storage, and I also found the grip material, shape, and angle to be very comfortable, which makes this saw not only easy to use, but a pleasure as well.

As mentioned above, the vac port feature only seems to work just so so. I suspect this is because it has such a small intake near the blade, and is a bit too far back to do well. An idea just came to me. I want to try simply reversing my vac hose so that it blows instead of sucking, similar to what is done on a scroll saw, and this may be better to keep sawdust away from the cut line. The clear shield should be enough to keep it from blowing up in my face, and safety glasses should be in use anyway for those worried about getting dust in your eye using it this way.

Also, the saw comes with one screw in clamp knob to hold the edge guide in place. The guide is very robust, but the machining tolerances in the slot it rests in on the saw foot allow for a very slight movement front to back. I'm not expecting precision cutting from a jig saw, but I want the best I can get. Since the guide can be reversed left or right, there are two positions on the foot to install the clamp knob in by default, meaning it could hold two knobs. I plan to order another clamp knob for $4 to make the guide a bit more stable. With it being double clamped, it should prevent that slight movement. That added cost still has this tool costing much less than the competition.

I got this saw because of all it had feature wise, and how it felt in hand, price aside. Of course, I wasn't going to give $100 for a tool I rarely need, but I did look at saws in the $80 and under range (all 3 Craftsman models, a Porter Cable, a Stanley and a Bostitch, 2 Skils, 2 Black & Deckers, yes I looked at a bunch but none seemed to have what this one had all in one package). For my needs, I felt this saw competed with those others, feature and performance wise, and the near giveaway price was just a big bonus. Once I used it, I knew I did just fine choosing this tool.

·
Super Moderator
6,791 Posts
Duane
Nice well written review Thanks for taking the time.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You are welcome. :)

As I wrote this, it occured to me that some may think I really went on and on about a tool that costs less than taking the family out to dinner just once. I feel good reviews on low cost tools are necessary, and not just the basic "it did the job" comments either. Too often, I see reviews on low cost tools where anything negative is really publicized, but I don't often see a lot of details in the good reviews of "cheap" tools. There are plenty of "great tool, I recommend it highly" comments, but not much else to say why. So I try to do any good reviews that I'm going to do with a lot of detail so that it is taken seriously, and so that those who would not otherwise be able to enter into the most expensive hobby I've ever seen, can do so, on about any budget, and still have the confidence to do so. Because, if all you have is $30 to spend and you see a lot of negative reviews that make you afraid of a tool of this cost, not much good said about anything under $100, and lots of recommendations for high dollar tools, it might just be enough to make someone say forget it. I was there once. I'm glad I overcame it, and took a few chances, but I admit it takes a lot of work and research to find diamonds in the rough. I just try to make it a bit easier for others when I can, because any idiot can write a review, and sometimes smart people are fooled by them and pass on an otherwise quality item.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I'm sure we have a lot of members who were interested in your review Duane. Your right that not everyone is prepared to spend $100+ on a jigsaw. I have lots of tools of similar quality I've purchased from Canadian Tire up here to see how useful they are. A few have turned out to be real gems.

·
Official Greeter
18,736 Posts
Concise and factual....as it should be , Duane.

A picture would save me having to google it....VBG.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just checked with my local KMart.

This saw is on sale for $22.99!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Duane
Very good review. Just remember you get what you pay for , no more -no less. Good tools don't cost -they pay! Cheap tools will never do the quality work of good stuff. They won't last as long and the list goes on and on. IMO , C man has not put out a quality power tool in at least 25 years. Their hand tools I believe to be a lot better quality.
Dennis

·
Premium Member
19,008 Posts
Very nice review. About 2 years ago I bought an 18v DeWalt jig saw and it has become my go to jig saw. Not having to drag that cord around is wonderful, and it has plenty of power and you can vary the speed with the trigger. I just used it to cut drywall and it was especially nice to cut openings with tight turns and rounds without the cord and variable speed to keep the saw on the line. Tools are such a personal preference item, and what is good for one isn't necessarily good for all. Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Wow Duane, thank you. That is really a nice informative review.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Duane
Very good review. Just remember you get what you pay for , no more -no less. Good tools don't cost -they pay! Cheap tools will never do the quality work of good stuff. They won't last as long and the list goes on and on. IMO , C man has not put out a quality power tool in at least 25 years. Their hand tools I believe to be a lot better quality.
Dennis

I'm a tool snob. OK, I admit it. I usually research and buy the best I can find without going into the stratosphere of Fein and such. However, my kids are grown and educated, my mortgage is small, and I can afford it now. Even now, I must pace myself and add a couple of nice tools per year. And I've been at it a while.

I started out with Craftsman tools. They helped me get started in the hobby before I knew I had a lifetime obsession; and before I had the wherewithal to acquire a shop full of the tools I really wanted. Yes, he'll outgrow his Craftsman tools if he stays with the hobby, just like I outgrew mine. But meanwhile, for a sixth the outlay of a Bosch jigsaw, he's in the game.

We have to make a distinction between the guy who makes his living with his tools and the rest of us. For the pro, time is money, and he can't afford to waste his time with inferior tools. But the hobbyist need only be concerned if it will give him reasonable service compared to the outlay. I promise he'll get at least $25 worth of service out of his Craftsman jigsaw.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
**UPDATE**

Fast forward three years and I still have and use the tool. It still works well. I removed the plastic guard from the saw because static causes sawdust to stick to the lens and obscure my view. With that removed I still have the metal guard in place and that’s no less than a lot of saws have only.

What I’ve learned from using the saw is that it was actually worth more than it costed because that was dirt cheap, but it does not perform way out beyond that price range either. I believe it compares to the $50-60 models pretty equally, but since getting it I’ve had a chance to use one of the Bosch $150 models that a friend owns and there truly is no comparison.

If I was looking today for a new jigsaw and didn’t want to spend a lot I’d buy this Craftsman again in a second. If I wanted a nicer saw and money wasn’t an issue I’d buy the Bosch and not think twice about it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts