Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My router turned loose of a bit and destroyed part of a chest I was building...twice. Seems the collet is worn out so I went looking to replace the collet with little success... then went to shopping for a new router. From a time and effort standpoint I am wondering if repair of the Craftsman model 174921 is worth the cost savings?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
174921 Craftsman

Nevermind...
I found a good answer elsewhere on RouterForum this morning:

"ok, its garbage, dont even plug it in let alone try to use it
its dangerous!!
go get a new one, a pc 690 from HD is a great little router, and once you've used a 1/2 inch shaft bit you'll never go back
PITCH IT, before it hurts you, you should see what happens when a collet breaks, its not pretty"

if it doesnt fit, get a bigger hammer
steve in sarnia ont

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Steve, there is nothing wrong with the Craftsman router.. they are/were a great machine. If you can find the collet, and there is nothing wrong with the router, keep using it. Unfortunately, as you found out, parts availability is limited at best. I would suggest Ebay, or flea markets, and yard sales as possible sources for collets. The rest of the router might be trashed, but if it's got a good collet then you can scavage it for parts.

Of course, sometimes it is best to move on. You can't go far wrong with the PC690. I have one and am quite happy with it. The new Craftsman combo (fixed and plunge bases) have recieved good reviews from members here as well.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Hi Steve: I'm of the opinion that Craftsman are great when you buy two at a time. One to use, the other for parts and make sure they are identical. I have a box of Craftsman stuff "looking for" parts. I keep them as a reminder.

Power tools seldom wear out unless you're in heavy manufacturing. More often they are damaged. I have power tools 30 - 40 and even one 50 years old. They still do the job they were originally intended to do. Look for a manufacturer that still stocks parts for their 30 and 40 year old products. Now you have a reliable manufacturer.

Allthunbs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts