Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 hp craftsman router hooked up to a router table. I cannot adjust the depth because it's stuck. The last time I used it, I had a really hard time to adjust it. Is there anyone here with the same problem and can it be fixed short of using a sledge hammer on it.

·
Official Greeter
20,101 Posts
G’day Joseph

Welcome to the router forum.

Thank you for joining us

At this stage I would keep away from the sledge hammer.....

What model router are you using?

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I have a 2 hp craftsman router hooked up to a router table. I cannot adjust the depth because it's stuck. The last time I used it, I had a really hard time to adjust it. Is there anyone here with the same problem and can it be fixed short of using a sledge hammer on it.
Hi Joseph, welcome to the forum:)
Need a model number and is it a fixed or plunge base mounted in there? Odds are it's jammed up with sawdust..likely need to pull it out of the table and give it a good cleaning and lube....wax or graphite. When we get a model number we can pull up a parts explode and look for other possibilities. Good luck:)

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Hello! I will assume that it is a router without plunge! They have been bad at collecting sawdust in the adjustment threads. A little air, and working the router up, and down, ever so lightly will help loosen it. It helps to have help to turn the locking wheel up, and down. Or the adjustment, that way You can work the air, and help take a bit of sawdust out of the cavity. The brush that I use it the brush that has stiffer bristles They are used for clean-up when working with auto parts cleaning. I will use a longer wire tie to get the saw dust moving while blowing. Once cleaned, dry it up, but do not lube! Any kind of lubricant will hold sawdust., I hope I have it correct on the type of router You have:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's NOT dust or dirt inside. These are notorious for not being adjustable straight outta the box. The black plastic housing on the motor is a few thousandths too large & bind up too easily. The only solution is to 'turn down' the diameter of that motor housing w/ sandpaper. Long tedious process but does 'fix' the problem w/ these routers so they work like they should. A couple of hours & works like new or it 's supposed to.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just got finished taking my Craftsman apart for the same reason. I don't think mine is exactly the same but it has a red sleeve that you release and it's supposed to slide this way and that and cause the router motor to go up and down the amount you want and then you lock it there. Mine would not move and I actually took that sleeve off and the grooves and the sleeve itself were packed with saw dust. A dry film lube would probably work fine for some time but with yours being in a table upside down will probably collect saw dust over time but you will know what the problem is. I had just ordered a new base plate that has different size bushing guides that are easily locked into place and removed and it just really annoyed me that I had such a hard time adjusting the router height.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
11,613 Posts
Welcome to the forum @11 bravo

The post before yours is dated October 2019. I would suggest that you start a new thread outlining your issue and you may receive some help. Enjoy the forum.

·
Super Moderator
672 Posts
welcome to the forum, Ray and Bravo - if you guys could share some photos of your issues, it would help us help you with the most accurate options.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Can I use silicone
Best thing I know of is to remove it from the table, shake it and blow it with compressed air until enough sawdust has been removed to get some movement, then separate the motor from the base to clean all the dust from between the two. Don't use any lube of any kind until it's clean. It just makes the dust gum up and harder to remove.

·
Official Greeter
20,101 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts