Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Craftsman router model #315.17480 and the "lock-lever" is completely missing. I have read that this part (#2-623796-02) is no longer sold by Sears or anyone else that I can find. I do have the original wrench to loosen the collet nut.

I want to change the bit but I have one little problem. I cannot keep the collet from turning. There is a second nut near the base of the unit that will travel up the collet to the collet nut when turned. I was hoping to use the two against each other to loosen the collet nut but that's not going to happen.

Any ideas on how to keep the collet from turning? :help:

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I was going to suggest a spanner wrench, like you can get for working on bicycles. You've probably seen them. They're a flat bar with several size nut sizes stamped into them and usually with a curved hook on the end That's what I had to do on mine because the casting that the lever screws into broke out. Pin wrench is probably the correct name, but if you ask at a bicycle shop, also mention spanner wrench.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
One like this would work depending on how easy it will be to get it around the shaft and lined up with the hole. http://www.restockit.com/images/product/medium/ARM34-351.jpg I don't know how expensive one of those are going to be so before you spend very much on a wrench like that that you will likely never find another use for you should consider just buying a new router instead. Your other option is to find one for parts or give/trade to someone who knows how to make a new lever.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I have a Craftsman router model #315.17480 and the "lock-lever" is completely missing. I have read that this part (#2-623796-02) is no longer sold by Sears or anyone else that I can find. I do have the original wrench to loosen the collet nut.

I want to change the bit but I have one little problem. I cannot keep the collet from turning. There is a second nut near the base of the unit that will travel up the collet to the collet nut when turned. I was hoping to use the two against each other to loosen the collet nut but that's not going to happen.

Any ideas on how to keep the collet from turning? :help:
Judging by the parts diagram in the manual you could fashion one. From a small piece of metal stock, like an angle bracket for a picture frame. Cut and file accordingly, tighten a screw to use as a lever point (part 53) (like a starting pin) but don't mount the lever permanently as you may not be able to fashion a spring to keep the lever away while operating. You could probably use the existing hole in the right size frame bracket as the leverage point (see parts 53,54,55,56 in manual).

That's what I would do...

Good luck, Nick

·
Official Greeter
19,254 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts