Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 5 years ago, I bought a Craftsman . Model 320.28084 Router package. Its a 12.5 Amp 1/2" variable speed unit with a fixed base, plunge base and D-Handel base. It was a pretty good unit .... until it wasn't. While cutting a datto, sparks shot out and it locked up. Now I cannot get it appart nor are there any parts available (same as all Craftsman stuff). I would like to get a new or referb motor. Does anyone have any idea where i can get one?

·
Official Greeter
19,988 Posts
Firstly JIm, welcome to the forum.

You mention that you bought the router 5 yrs ago.

An earlier post on the forum (2013) mentioned that this model had been discontiued, so I assume you bought it second hand.

I attach a copy of the manual for your information.

Let us know how you go.

This may help.

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
Ross
11,491 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jim.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Firstly JIm, welcome to the forum.

You mention that you bought the router 5 yrs ago.

An earlier post on the forum (2013) mentioned that this model had been discontiued, so I assume you bought it second hand.

I attach a copy of the manual for your information.

Let us know how you go.

This may help.
Thanks. I am blown away by the quick replies. Don't usually get that when i post.
Anyway, I must have underestimated the time. I did buy it new from Sears here locally. I do have the manual but thanks to you, i dont have to scan it in. Is there a place I can send the motor to get it repaired?

·
Registered
Paul
2,140 Posts
Didja check the brushes, Jim? If one broke down I guess it could jam it up. You may not find original brushes but by size/configuration you can maybe find something. I've filed brushes to make them fit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found the correct part number 4960019000 for the brushes for the Craftsman Model 320.28084 Router on eBay $16.55 for two brushes. I also have this router and it has worked very well for me. I have several for hand routing and for table routing.

Craftsman Router Saw Motor Brush 4960019000 2pcs Carbon Brushes assy | eBay

There is also a used Model 320.28084 Router Kit for $99.99.

Roger in Texas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didja check the brushes, Jim? If one broke down I guess it could jam it up. You may not find original brushes but by size/configuration you can maybe find something. I've filed brushes to make them fit.
Thanks. Thats the first thing i checked. I don't know if a piece of metal got in the motor or what. Tried to pull the motor out, but the spindle seems to be pressed into a bearing which I cannot figure out how to disassemble (not big with electrical motors, but banging on it with a hammer does not seem to be a good idea).

·
Official Greeter
19,988 Posts
Is that Sears store still trading? They may be able to suggest a repair shop?
Hard to recommend a repair shop, as we do not know what city you are in.

·
Registered
Paul
2,140 Posts
Check that the spindle lock isn't causing the lock-up. If it was then you may have burned the windings = kaput. From the drawing that James posted, it looks like the rotor won't come out because the fan is larger than the stator opening. Looks like it all has to come apart. Take the brushes out before trying to remove 18. I think 23s need to come out. There's 3 screws[26] holding the bottom bearing (probably hidden until you take out the stator[22] and then rotor[24]. The bottom bearing probably won't let the rotor out with the collet[33, 34] on. Where the brushes run on the rotor (commutator) is where the sparking occurs. If the comm is badly burned it can sometimes be cleaned, even carefully sanded. There's wires going to each segment, be careful with those.

Reactions: jw2170
1 - 9 of 9 Posts