Router Forums banner
1 - 2 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,702 Posts
I tried to looking up the router on sears parts but they don't seem to have it.....

It could be that Bob N is right or it could be that the switch on the router is going bad.... here is my reasoning: The router might have an interlock switch so it will not power up when the lock is on.... if so when you use the lock it wipes the contacts and it will work for a short while.... But my other idea is more likely and comes for an experence I had that sounds a lot like what your is.

It could also be the other trigger switch (if it has one....). On one of my sears routers the trigger is pulled and it touches a microswitch which starts the router. When you pull the switch in far enough a button lets you lock it on...and believe it or not they had used some foam tape on the trigger where it contacted the microswitch...and it wore out. The foam takes the little extra pull of the switch going in to the locking position and then should keep enough pressure on the microswitch to keep the router on..... mine would do that until you started routing and then the vibrations etc would start and the router would shut off.

I took the handle apart and found the problem, put a new little piece of foam tape and it was working in less then 5 minutes. If you feel up to it you might want to "crack" it open and have a look around.

Ed

· Registered
1,702 Posts
What the heck lets try a few more things.... This time when it stops unplug the router then plug it back in and see if it will start by pulling the plug somesort of reset might also happen..... Then another test might be to take some stiff tape and tape the switch tight on and see if that makes any difference?????

Ed

1 - 2 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.