Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys I am Bob a new member. I appreciate the opportunity to join this forum as I have started a sign routing business as a hobby/second job during these tough economic times. I have an older Sears Router I want to dedicate to a pantograph and the switch has gone bad. I have ordered and recieved a new swith from sears but the wiring is different. Can any one give me the correct wiring diagram for my routher

I have a Red Black and Blue wires from the outer to the switch and Black and white wires from the work light The blue wire from the router and Black wire from the light were jumpered to a black wire in the original switch configuration

there are 5 terminals on the new switch

Can any one give me any assistance

Thanks
Bob Bratton

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
First, Welcome to Router Forums, I believe you posted under general routing. It you would repost on introductions, that you will get help. There are some that should reply, and also, a Craftsman gallery. They sometimes have manuals listed there, and they are in PDF so you can read them.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Bob

You nay want top take a peek at the links below,many of the Sears routers are wired up the same way... it may help you get yours rewired :)

Router Forums - View Single Post - Craftsman router manual anyone?
http://www.routerforums.com/general-routing/8196-craftsman-router-manual-anyone.html
http://www.routerforums.com/introductions/12434-craftsman-router-wiring.html
=======

Hi Guys I am Bob a new member. I appreciate the opportunity to join this forum as I have started a sign routing business as a hobby/second job during these tough economic times. I have an older Sears Router I want to dedicate to a pantograph and the switch has gone bad. I have ordered and recieved a new swith from sears but the wiring is different. Can any one give me the correct wiring diagram for my routher

I have a Red Black and Blue wires from the outer to the switch and Black and white wires from the work light The blue wire from the router and Black wire from the light were jumpered to a black wire in the original switch configuration

there are 5 terminals on the new switch

Can any one give me any assistance

Thanks
Bob Bratton

·
Registered
2 Posts
Craftsman Router Model 315.17380: I got this router cleaned up and working, however, it needs a momentary contact switch. The switch is not available through Sears or Craftsman any longer (surprise, surprise). I would like to find an original switch or a suitable replacement. The original switch number was 2-606583-01. The router was made around 1972 and is almost all metal and very heavy duty. If any one know where I can locate a momentary switch it would be a big help. I have searched several of the electronics stores in the area and all their momentary contact switches are too big.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Try here...
Allied Electronics

They have most any switch you may need and then some. And they have reasonable prices.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Hi Larry. Welcome to our little corner of the 'net.

If you can't find it where Duane suggested, search Ebay, Craigs list, Kijiji and the like for a broken router that someone is selling and scavage it for parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bob, try downloading the manual and see it it will answer your question. If you search the forum for the model number 315.17380 one of the results will be for the manual. On page four there is information about replacing the switch. If you do find an answer please post your findings.

I need a switch for mine as well. It is stuck in the on position. I may just use an external switch in the line cord.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bob, at Allied Electronics I think I found the switch (model SS-10)
www-alliedelec-com/search/productdetail-aspx?SKU=70176088
Replace the "-" with a period in the link.
Omron Electronic Components - SS-10 - Sensors, Switches & Relays - Switches - Allied Electronics

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Bob, try downloading the manual and see it it will answer your question. If you search the forum for the model number 315.17380 one of the results will be for the manual. On page four there is information about replacing the switch. If you do find an answer please post your findings.

I need a switch for mine as well. It is stuck in the on position. I may just use an external switch in the line cord.
Hi John. Bob's original post is 3 years old, I would assume he has has solved the problem. As to an external switch, thats ok, but I would NOT put it inline in the routers power cord! Many inline switches do not have a high enough current rating!

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi

I suggest you get the item below and fix two errors with one item..the switch on the Craftsman is a light duty item and they get welded all the time,just by pass the switch. the control box is about the same price for a new switch..but now you have a VS router.

Router Speed Control

====

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi John. Bob's original post is 3 years old, I would assume he has has solved the problem. As to an external switch, thats ok, but I would NOT put it inline in the routers power cord! Many inline switches do not have a high enough current rating!
Ops I must be sleeping - I did not notice that Bob's post was three years old.... :)
Thanks for letting me know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi

I suggest you get the item below and fix two errors with one item..the switch on the Craftsman is a light duty item and they get welded all the time,just by pass the switch. the control box is about the same price for a new switch..but now you have a VS router.
====
This is great! I can use this with all of my routers!

BTW I sprayed my Craftsman switch with WD40 and let it set for a few minutes and like magic my switch is working again. However I like the idea of the speed control.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
This is great! I can use this with all of my routers!

BTW I sprayed my Craftsman switch with WD40 and let it set for a few minutes and like magic my switch is working again. However I like the idea of the speed control.
Yep, the do tend to accumulate dust, especially when ran upside down in a router table.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts