Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To start off, on a weekly basis I have been visiting my recycling center where I live. I always find useful junk for woodworking and my metal projects (just bought a Lincoln HD140 welder on Craigslist). I had noticed months ago in the corner of the property there was what seemed to be the carcass of a table saw without the top placed upside down in high grass and dirt. Out of curiosity this past Sat I decided to go take a look at the TS for scrap parts. I tried lifting it and at first it wouldn’t budge…after a nice hard tug it revealed itself to me. The TS was sitting on a pallet, grass, dead leaves and dirt had made it virtually invisiblethat it had a top. It was missing the motor but it seemed to have all the makings of a great restoration project. The blade spun easily and without any gritty noise so the bearings must be fine. Its missing the motor mount plate and Sears sells them for $26 bucks +shipping, but since I have the welder I’m sure I could fabricate a motor mount for next to nothing. I’m either going to get a Delta fence system that runs in the mid 100’s for price or fabricate one on my own. The top was rusty so before I made any wild plans I wanted to see if there was any pitting or damage from the rust. Anyway, here’s a few pics: Took about 15 minutes with the wire wheel first and then the palm sander…the 3rd pic is to show that the rust didn’t create any recognizable damage.

How it looked when i got it home

After 15 min of working on it

Close up and shiny

BTW…its model #113.29940 and built in Dec of 1970.
All comments and suggestions are appreciated.
Dask

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
OPG3, feel blessed that you have the opportunity to rummage through your late fathers belongings...all those items were probably last touched by him and hold a part of him...btw, sorry for his passing.
As for "CLR", CALCIUM, LIME, RUST, yes, the stuff works great. I used it to clean all the internal parts of a Wagner airless sprayer that had sat for over 15 years. Its parts were coated with rust and paint mixture and when i soaked them in a high concentrate of around 80% CLR to water it removed all the impurities to bare metal. I think I left them in the solution for about a week.

Mike, thanks for the wax tip. As for the sleds, last Dec I built a sled on my little skil saw and last night I completed a mortise sled also for the skilsaw. I really dislike that tool, so I look forward when this tank is operational. I'm actually going to build the supersled that's featured on eaglelake woodworking.

Hilbilly, yes, this saw is bulletproof...I've only gotten into woodworking in the past 6 months but I was in construction most of my life. I've seen the name craftsman referred to as "Crapsman", but if this is how crap is built, then give me more. I cleaned up the fence last night and reassembled the micro adjustment mechanism with a spring from a salvaged printer and it works fine. The fence grips very tight and has zero diflection...I'm in no hurry to build or buy a new fence.

Another thing I admire about this saw...look at the wording above the MFG DATE on the label.
MADE IN USA...not some crap built overseas and mostly made of plastic.
Built in 1970 when this country hadn't sold its manufacturing soul to China.

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Took off the base for some deep cleaning...dirt, clay some rust just caked on. This isn't gonna be easy and might take more time to clean than I thought.

First a nice hosing to knock everything loose and then laundry detergent and a steel brush and scrape away...man this stuff is dried in there pretty good...btw, this pic was taken after I had already scrubbed it once. I rinsed it off, and now its sitting in my driveway in a solution of water and laundry detergent.

I was planning on adding a new padle switch anyway but once I opened up the old switch case I knew I didn't have a choice but to replace the switch :)

I'm thinking of taking the saw trunnion off the top for a better cleaning but I'm worried I might have trouble realigning the system properly once I take it off.
What do you guys think?

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
found a motor...

I've been searching on craigslist and ebay for AC motors and have been overwhelmed at the prices. 1 HP motors ranging $100+then add delivery. At the price of the motor I can find a TS for almost the same price.
So back to the recycling center and I've had my eye on his motor for months that was attached to a pressure washer.
What do you guys think? Any suggestions?
RPM are what is required.
1 to 1.5 is recommended for HP, but I don't think 2 HP will cause any problems.
At 17A its gonna have a little more juice than the standard motors.
Dual capacitors!
5/8 keyed shaft.
So if this motor will fit my needs all that's missing is a a machined or cast iron pulley on the trunnion and motor, a link belt, a paddle switch and a motor bracket that go for $12 on eBay delivered.

BTW...cost of motor...$10 bucks

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alrighty...Im thinking of going with a double pulley and a link belt. Do you guys have any recommandations where i can find these items with the best bang for the buck?

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Funny you should mention pulley's as I just had to replace one on my Craftsman table saw that is similar to yours. I didn't go with a double pulley, but I did buy one from grizzly.com. Grizzly.com® -- Product Categories I will say the pulley that I got from Grizzly was far better made then the original that came on the saw. The pulleys with a 5/8 bore fits perfectly.

I did also buy a linked belt from Harbor Freight. It is 5' long, and with their 20% off coupon, you can get it for under $20.
Thanks for the info. I was looking for a link belt at a good price and HF's price is perfect. I haven't been able to find a 2.5" diameter pulley at Grizzly but i found some good cast iron ones at Grainger.
For cost purposes I think I'm gonna pass on the double groove pulleys for now.

UPDATE: found a double groove 2" OD pulley but my craftsman TS specs list a 2.5" pulley. If i change both pulleys to 2" will my table saw explode? :)

Double-V-Groove-Pulley-2-Pitch-Dia-5/8Bore/G6263

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
OK...this restoration just took a slight turn. I bought a Craftsman TS on Sunday for $50 bucks.
Its model number 113.298840. I'm going to use the 2 cast iron pulleys that came with that saw and are in excellent condition. It has a 1 1/2 HP motor with an attached on/off switch and a base. So I will be stripping these items off the latest TS and fast tracking my restoration. I will also be building a biesemeyer fence from plans I found on the internet.
Also, the saw being restored comes with 10" aluminum extensions. The saw below comes with 12" cast iron web extensions...I will be exchanging the extensions and using the iron web ones.

Here's a pic of the new saw.

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Naval Jelly

Took all the bolts, nuts and washers off the stand, motor, extensions and cabinet due to excessive rust. I pondered buying all new bolts and accessories but the stand carriage bolts are very hard to find cauz the bolt has grooves cut into the so they will tighten without slipping and where bolt meets head the the bolt is round and all the carriage bolts I find have a square. portion..so long story, short. I decided to try naval jelly and wow...im very impressed. I threw the hardware in a plastic container, poured some right into the container, shook well till all the hardware was covered. I let is sit for 30 minutes while continuously shaking every few minutes to help the process. I then rinsed all the jelly off, places the hardware on a towel to dry and then sprayed them with silicone to prevent further rust.

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
just took off the cast iron web extentions and noticed one of them had a curved surface. Guess I won't be using these extentions anytime soon. How the heck does a piece of metal that durable get such a pronounced curve running through it?

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
UPDATE: since finding that saw at the recycling center I've bought 3 more model 113 saws on CL of different varitions. I have become obsessed with this model 113 TS. Im going to make a custom PALS kit for it next week andfor will takeI pics ofand the process. I've already collected most of the steel to make a homemade beismeyer fence and have a set of real nice cast iron extensions that I might use on it instead of the aluminum ones that came with it. Although I now have 3 craftsman motors im still going to modify and use the 2 hp one. As for the base...im either going to wait to find the base for this TS (not standard size) or build a metal frame from scratch or a wooden cabinet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.