Router Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
if it isn't too late you need to edit out this statement or get moderator to do it for you......
canned air is flammable... new inexperienced guys may get themselves into trouble...
you don't need to be promoting dangerous practices...

the new doctrine is to use vacuum... not compressed air...
compressed air blows fines into where you wish they never went...
X2 for Stick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks to all who advised me on this topic. Just ordered the 1617EVSPK combo from Amazon. I went ahead and ordered an under-table base to permanently install in my table so I have access to both the fixed and plunge bases. It's a PITB to get that Craftsman out of the Skil counter top table its mounted in so I now have a 1/4 " single speed C-man small tabletop rig, and a 1/2" variable speed Bosch plunge/fixed/table rig. I don't think there is much I won't be able to tackle now.

Stand by for advice to get me through my upcoming built-in project with trimmed rails & stiles and raised panel doors.... I'm sure I will find myself in a pickle before I'm done....

Reactions: Roy Drake

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Thanks to all who advised me on this topic.

Stand by for advice to get me through my upcoming built-in project with trimmed rails & stiles and raised panel doors.... I'm sure I will find myself in a pickle before I'm done....
no problemo...
would you like a bit of information on this before you start???

Reactions: jpaskell

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
not gonna give you a chance to answer that...

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
yur not done yet...

Attachments

Reactions: jpaskell

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
We'll still be here. You'll enjoy that new router.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
now when we get to your project we'll tailor to what fits...
WTMI (it's all good) other wise...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
not gonna give you a chance to answer that...

Many thanks for this fine info, Stick! I'm going through it now. My plan is to do one small cabinet for my shop in pine plywood & face mtl (cheap),
then go to a birch wood in a basement man cave for advanced practice, then do the living room built-ins in oak or other hardwood after I've made rookie mistakes on the first two. My wife is questioning my ability but that won't be the first time......

·
Registered
16 Posts
What a great thread! I recently fell into the trap of buying a Crapsman plunge router on eBay. Got it and it wouldn't start. Guessing it is the speed control. I'm sending it back and saving up for the Bosch 1617.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Probably a wise choice. It's likely a Ryobi router but since they sold it to Sears Ryobi probably isn't required to have parts for it and with Sears going down you won't get them from Sears either.

·
Registered
Theo
7,156 Posts
I've solved the problem of parts for old Craftsman routers. I have 4 or 5 old Craftsman routers, not real sure, haven't counted them in awhile. My newest router is around 10-15 years old I believe. The oldest is somewhere around 20-25. Only one does not work, a soldered connection broke because the wire was a bit shorter than it should be, re-solder and it should be good to go. Bottom line, they all still work, so I'm keeping them. However, if one does bit the dust, I will keep it, so I can perhaps salvage parts from it to maybe repair the next one that dies on me. Forgot to mention they are all the same type, so interchangeability of parts should be no issue. They work, they do what I want them to do, so not buying a new router until the last one dies. I bought two new, was given the others - because they are old Craftsman routers. LMAO

Moral of the story is, if you get Craftsman routers, get more than one of the same model, just in case. Hehehe

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
I've solved the problem of parts for old Craftsman routers. I have 4 or 5 old Craftsman routers, not real sure, haven't counted them in awhile. My newest router is around 10-15 years old I believe. The oldest is somewhere around 20-25. Only one does not work, a soldered connection broke because the wire was a bit shorter than it should be, re-solder and it should be good to go. Bottom line, they all still work, so I'm keeping them. However, if one does bit the dust, I will keep it, so I can perhaps salvage parts from it to maybe repair the next one that dies on me. Forgot to mention they are all the same type, so interchangeability of parts should be no issue. They work, they do what I want them to do, so not buying a new router until the last one dies. I bought two new, was given the others - because they are old Craftsman routers. LMAO

Moral of the story is, if you get Craftsman routers, get more than one of the same model, just in case. Hehehe

I wouldn't bet on it, Sears had the habit of making the same models with different parts and by different manufacturers.
Herb

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Joshua; and that's why so many of us love Bosch. From their hot hands to yours, with superb after purchase service. They're not perfect but man, they do try hard.

·
Registered
Theo
7,156 Posts
I wouldn't bet on it, Sears had the habit of making the same models with different parts and by different manufacturers.
Herb
Doesn't matter. If one dies it would probably be from something I wouldn't know how to fix anyway. I figure there will be at least one still working by the time I stop woodworking. Hmm, just hope they last another 77 or so years, otherwise I could be SOL.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I love your optimism Theo.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
No, the next 77 years part. That's what I call thinking positive.

·
Registered
Theo
7,156 Posts
21 - 40 of 46 Posts