Router Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a couple questions about Craigs List. Is it free and what do you have to do to sell something on it. Is it just a registering thing and then list it? Fee's involved. Kind of a plain jane site so couldn't find to much on how to sell and what is required.

Thanks,
Corey

·
2,392 Posts
challagan said:
Just a couple questions about Craigs List. Is it free and what do you have to do to sell something on it. Is it just a registering thing and then list it? Fee's involved. Kind of a plain jane site so couldn't find to much on how to sell and what is required.

Thanks,
Corey

Yep, it's FREE to us little guys...
Businesses using it pay...

Also, based on what happened to me, I had a nice china cabinet listed.
I receive an email where they want it and are willing to pay my price.
They go on to say that they will arrange for a pickup and pay with a check, because they don't have that much cash.

I requested CASH at time of pickup...

Nothing heard from them....

You are warned about checks, even Cashier & Money Orders are being forged!

Yes. I think I bypassed a bad Sale...

Take CASH and NOTHING ELSE BUT CASH. IMEO

Good luck.

·
Marine Engineer
4,774 Posts
It's free to post, you don't even need to register. I just sold 2 things on there this week(an old lawn mower $25, and a ridgid shop air cleaner $60), and no problems. I only deal with people in person, and only let them know where I live after we've gone back and forth a few times in email or on the phone.

The funny thing is, most of the folks I've been dealing with are using their work email addresses, and I'm able to get an idea of where they're at ahead of time. I only accept cash or trade.

In my opinion, its no different than the classified ads in the newspaper, just a whole lot cheaper, faster, and you can edit your ad on the fly.

I highly recommend NOT using your primary email address. If your internet provider gives you multiple email accounts, set one up just for Craigslist, so you don't get spammed.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Just my 2 cents

It's free but it sucks :(

Bj :)

========

challagan said:

Thanks,
Corey

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob, why does it suck? I like free :) and not much difference really than a online trader magazine. Worth a shot... if not will try the wifes work newsletter and then the local paper. Have pretty good luck with the wifes newsletter. She works at Boys Town and all the family houses etc. often are looking for woodworking equipment. I actually met and sold my old table saw :) Worth a shot!

Corey

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Corey

Check your email, I did go into details why :)

================
challagan said:
Bob, why does it suck? I like free :) and not much difference really than a online trader magazine. Worth a shot... if not will try the wifes work newsletter and then the local paper. Have pretty good luck with the wifes newsletter. She works at Boys Town and all the family houses etc. often are looking for woodworking equipment. I actually met and sold my old table saw :) Worth a shot!

Corey

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
I just purchased a Craftsman 10" radial arm saw that was posted on Craigs list. The plug was cut off the power cord, the fence was gone and the work surface needs to be replaced. Not sure of the year, but it runs smooth. Some general clean up and maintenance and I am sure I will be very happy with my $10 investment.

:sold:

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
If you are not happy with it Mike I imagine that there will be a queue waiting to give you at least a 100% profit! Once you get it up and working I guarantee that you will wonder how you have coped all these years without a radial arm saw.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
That's a GREAT deal Mike :) :)

I use the one I have all the time and I would be at a lost without it...
Like the picture below, they do come in nice when you need to make a hard cut.......

The one I have I got back in the 60s and it's a real work horse, I have posted a snapshot of it on the forum a time or two with the great top on the B&D/DeWalt machine and have mounted a router to it at one time ...

=========

Mike said:
I just purchased a Craftsman 10" radial arm saw that was posted on Craigs list. The plug was cut off the power cord, the fence was gone and the work surface needs to be replaced. Not sure of the year, but it runs smooth. Some general clean up and maintenance and I am sure I will be very happy with my $10 investment.

:sold:

Attachments

·
2,392 Posts
Very good, Mike!!

Glad you hit pay dirt!

You could even sell it later for at least $50-$60... let's see...
That would be about 400% - 500% profit wouldn't it?!
Nothing wrong with that!

On the other hand, if it stopped you from buying a similar saw for $300, the % goes out of sight!

Good for you!! I'll have to start watching it again... :) :D

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This isn't a Craigslist story but I have a buddy who is a roofing, siding, gutter etc. contractor. He did a job for a lady and when done she asked him if for some extra cash would take the the wood in here garage home and the tools that belonged to her husband. The lady's husband died in 1959 or there abouts. For 40 + years she had a garage that was chuck full of hardwood as her husband had bought it prior to his death and was going to build something with it .. evidently either make pannelling, cabinets or a bunch of furniture. Anyway, the garage was just chuck full of the stuff up to his waist and he could see a couple coverered tools in the back of the garage. Turns out cleaning the garage meant throwing about a dozen boxes of junk out and then loading his truck up with about 5,000. worth of lumber and in the back of the shop was a 1957 Dewalt radial arm saw that didn't even have the table scored on it. He asked her if she didn't want it and she said he could have it and would be thrilled being able to park the car in the garage after all these years. He told her if you need anything done on the house... give him a call first.. the price will be right!

Corey

P.S. natta one inquirey on my listings on Craigs list. Bummer!

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Corey,

There is a moral to your story in there somewhere.... better get busy using your stash or your wife will be giving it to somebody else :eek: :D

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
If you didn't live so far away I'm sure that Mike would have made you an offer! It's early days yet Corey, the guy who is going to contact you could be away on a business trip!

·
Marine Engineer
4,774 Posts
More Craigslist humor---

So i had a handful of large poplar (I'm pretty sure they are poplar) beams. I described them in my ad as "4 beams, roughly 4 x 6 inch 3 a little over 8 foot long, one about 9 foot and some" and included a picture. I had a couple of nibbles, but it took a week before someone claimed them. He wanted to meet in town, since he was passing through and didn't want to get away from the main drag. So I loaded the truck up, and drove into town to meet him. I waited, and waited, and was getting a bit upset, when I realized he was already in the lot waiting for me... in a Toyota Corrolla. He looked at the beams and said... wait for it... I didn't think they would be so big. He was a very nice older man, and I didn't want to get frustrated at him for having loaded them up and driven them into town just to take them back, but he decided we would get them to fit.

Needless to say, we read the instructions on how to lower his back seats, and put the beams in the car. They went all the way from his dashboard to over 2 feet out of the trunk. Good thing he only had another 30 miles until he got home!

I never know what to expect when making trades, but I know it will be an adventure!

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts