Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a vote, guys.

While I was surfing, trying to find a sign shape, I came across a sign that I simply had to mimic-it's far from original, or new, but I thought I would have it as one for a "pick n' go" style sign.

Doing one for all 3 Auto Makers (since we all know what die-hards we Americans are when it comes to the brand of vehicles we drive) and the problem is, what to do for Chrysler? So, please help me decide -

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
The star is the better choice. The Ram symbol will turn off all that brand's truck buyers, who generally LOVE their trucks. Not sure how you'll get that narrowing star, maybe make a jig to gradually lift the bit away from surface as you go out from the center? Make the jig stationary with a fixed start point and then make a rotating base to hold the plaque but allow you to rotate it. Put five stop points around the edge of that so the star shape is perfect every time. My thoughts anyhow.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that's the whole point, Tom. Example: One of the guys I work with, can't stand Dodge... he's all about Chevy. (He doesn't care for Ford, either lol) So that's why I'm wondering what to use. With Chevy and Ford, it's easy. Chrysler/Dodge, they have to be difficult and have more than one logo lol

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Or, cut the Pentagon and star separately and glue the star on.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, then you would want one of these, Tom: :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@vchiarelli- People who love their (let's say) Chevy (usually truck) tease either Dodge or Ford as being a hunk of junk....

I have two co-workers that can't stand Fords. One is strictly Chevy, and the other one owns two (2) Chrysler classic cars, but drives a Chevy Tahoe for his daily vehicle. Both of them would buy the Ford sign.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
@vchiarelli- People who love their (let's say) Chevy (usually truck) tease either Dodge or Ford as being a hunk of junk....

Yea, I get that part - we always used to say "FORD - Found On Road Dead"
My BiL had owned two Vettes simultaneously for the longest time - I used to tell him that Vettes were just expensive GMs. Now he owns a Vette and a Mustang, his daily "user" is a new Audi, and my sister drives an Audi SUV - yup two people, 4 cars.

I have two co-workers that can't stand Fords. One is strictly Chevy, and the other one owns two (2) Chrysler classic cars, but drives a Chevy Tahoe for his daily vehicle. Both of them would buy the Ford sign.
OK, so I still say, make both and let the buyer decide - there, fixed it for ya

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reactions: woodknots

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
I'd buy "I love my truck!" Or, "I love this truck!" Or, "This truck won't quit!" Or "Don't you wish you owned this truck?" Or, " (brand)'s best year ever!"

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
NM Tom lol but thanks. I appreciate the input

·
Registered
Theo
6,928 Posts
Well, unless you want to make both, I'd say go with the pentagon.

Could rout the star completely thru, then glue that section onto another. Or several other ways to do it, but can't suggest any others, because if it were me doing it I wouldn't have a clue on how I wanted to do it, until I actually got out there and did it. Hmm, stencil and paint would also be an option.

Reactions: OutoftheWoodwork

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Barb...I think I'[m with Tom...use a v-bit and a couple of ramps on either side of the main body and route from small to large or large to small. Not sure what effect the bit will have at the center though once you've done all five points. Don't think it will leave flat cuts in the center. If you rig something like this up, you could finish it freehand with a blade.

Is the wood such that a carving knife might do it...? Freehand...? You're pretty good at that freehand stuff...

Or maybe multiple passes on the star points with something like a Dremel tool and bits...?

(no...I'm not going to vote for any particular logo...LOL)

Good luck

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I have a '94 Dodge Caravan just turned 340,000 km. Doesn't use any oil and just keeps running. Get it Krowned every year. Not a speck of rust. I just use it now for the CCS passengers now. I bought it used in '99.
I picked up an '09 Sante Fe in 2014 for something different. Beautiful vehicle. The Dodge has done me well.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Barb, just to stir the pot: several years ago NASCAR had four manufacturers in their top series, Chevy, Ford, Dodge and Toyota. Only one of the designated models was made in the US: the Toyota. Also, Subaru, which I used to drive and loved, is made in the US.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts