Router Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure exactly what you call it, but see some on amazon, but none with good reviews. I have some that clamp but don't move in the x and y. Any recommendations on one that works well and is fairly precise? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Assuming you're putting this under a drill press, almost any of the slides will have some play in the threads forcing you to align in one direction...problem with end-play...

...unless you get up in the heavy duty commercial types...then you'll need another shop... :)

What're you doing with it ?...the application might drive different answers...metal? wood? big? small? intricate work?

If you're using it for drilling wood, any of them will work...just get the size that will fit in the press and will accommodate the size of wood...

I use a fence, clamps, stops, jigs, etc...for repeat work, especially when I need "precision". My x-y'er is sitting somewhere under something collecting dust (and rust, no doubt)...

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I bought a Chinese made and got what I paid for. Slop in the threads is correct but the one I have, and I assume most others are like it, works on dove tail guides which have a free play adjustment which helps. If possible also pick one that allows you to lock it in position once you have it where you want it. They are made for machining metal and like all other tools for machining metal you can go from quality levels where accuracy is wishful thinking to accuracy that will satisfy NASA. Prices vary accordingly.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Gentleman...
you too Nick...
Doug hit the mark with his recommendation...
as in this one...
Cross Slide Vises

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
I bought one from HF. Fairly cheep, and I got what I paid for. :frown:
I did manage to get it to hold my parts while I drilled them, but the material was aluminum so it drilled easy.

The prices seem to jump from under $50 to near $300. I would like to have the $300 model but it won't be today. :frown:

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts

·
Registered
4,625 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Re Stick's X-slide link...sweet! Less $$$'s than I would have expected for a piece of decent machinery.

Travers is an excellent company to deal with....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts