Router Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This project has always been in the back of my mind, taking up valuable space! Now it is completed and taking up space on the coffee table, for all to see. I made it from left over bits and samples, also taking up space ( a space project )!!
I'm not sure of the species of wood used for the box. The trim is paduke; the top is made from sample bits of melamine cut to fit. Tools used to build this project include, table saw with blade-angle gage, scroll saw, table mounted router and box joint sled, and various hand tools, such as sliding square and tape measure etc. I used a 3/8" straight bit to cut the box joints the old fashioned method, with box joint sled hand made for the top of my veritas router table. I just used a tissue box to determine the size of this cover-box. There was a lot of sanding and cutting done by hand. All too fussy for my taste. I would not repeat this project if it depended on valuable time consumption!!
The finish is Danish Oil Finish. Even that seemed to take longer to dry than normal. However, I am happy with the dark rich look of this completed project.
a 3/8" straight bit to cut the box joints the old fashioned method, with box joint sled hand made for the top of my veritas router table. I just used a tissue box to determine the size of this cover-box. There was a lot of sanding and cutting done by hand. All too fussy for my taste. I would not repeat this project if it depended on valuable time consumption!!
The finish is Danish Oil Finish. Even that seemed to take longer to dry than normal. However, I am happy with the dark rich look of this completed project.
Table Wood Cabinetry Rectangle Flooring
Table Wood Cabinetry Rectangle Flooring
Table Wood Flooring Picture frame Floor

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I almost didn't catch it but on pic 2of4 it shows a slide out bottom. Pretty tricky and couldn't tell that it was there until pulled out. A little bit of detail about it if you don't mind. Nice build.
Thanks for asking Marco. The bottom is done exactly as a normal box, except you have to cut one end panel off short to have this small slide-out bottom. After that cut, you will need to use a new piece to form an end piece for the sliding bottom panel, so you can make up for the space made by the saw blade curf. This new piece is glued to the bottom slide panel. It took me a lot of time to fit that end piece to make the joint almost invisible. I made all the side panels wider than needed, so I would have extra trim just for this reason. You can't hope to get rich selling such a project. I do it just for some relaxing fun and the smell of the sawdust!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.