Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cutting some double sided tape with a box knife. Some call it a razor knife. I know it slipped and cut my finger but it happened so fast I really don't know why or what I was doing wrong. It wasn't my road rage finger it was my ring finger. >:) It was on my right hand and I am left handed.

All I can say is be careful.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Sorry to hear about the cut. Hope it's not a bad one. Some times it seem like we just can't be careful enough.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
duct tape is your salvation...

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I agree with @Stick486. Make sure it's clean, then tape it carefully back together. Leave the tape on for about a week and then carefully remove it. I think there's an antiseptic in Duck tape, because my sharp instrument injuries heal faster this way than any other. I've been doing this for years, ever since a sheet metal mechanic told me. At the time he had the tape in four places on his hands, all sheet metal cut injuries.

If it swells and/or becomes much more sore after a few days you need a doctor and antibiotics. If not, leave it alone under the tape and it will be good in about a week.

Charley

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should have said in the first post it took three stitches.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I agree with @Stick486. Make sure it's clean, then tape it carefully back together. Leave the tape on for about a week and then carefully remove it. I think there's an antiseptic in Duck tape, because my sharp instrument injuries heal faster this way than any other. I've been doing this for years, ever since a sheet metal mechanic told me. At the time he had the tape in four places on his hands, all sheet metal cut injuries.

If it swells and/or becomes much more sore after a few days you need a doctor and antibiotics. If not, leave it alone under the tape and it will be good in about a week.

Charley
Isn't that what gloves are for? ...edges, sharp...edges, bad...gloves good!

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Isn't that what gloves are for? ...edges, sharp...edges, bad...gloves good!
you trying to rain on a masochist's parade???

Reactions: swarfmaker

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Best to be cut by a dull blade, the jagged edge heals quicker. Or so the adage goes.

In any case careful is the watch word.

Hope the recovery goes well Don.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
you trying to rain on a masochist's parade???
Uh, huh!

Although I HATE wearing gloves, they have save me more then once from stitches.

·
Registered
502 Posts
What I do is clean the cut very good. Then I wipe it with Cholorhexadine (can use alcohol) and close it with super glue. The key is the clean out, you don't want to close up dirt/germs in there. Just glue the skin together, not the tissue under the skin.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Charley

Duct tape doesn't breath, I learned that the hard way.

I Was on a canoe trip and had slight injury on my thumb. I covered it with duct tape to keep from irritating it when I paddled. After about three days I took the duct tape off and my thumb looked like a soft, wet raisin. The skin took a few days to get back to normal. Learned not to do that again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Throw out the duct tape - a stitch in time saves nine, or so they say. Been there done that too many times. I have had more stitches than I care to count. At least we still have 10 fingers and toes. Hope it heals with no problems.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I hope it heals well and soon. If it was the Peachtree type double sided tape, I found out by accident that I have better luck tearing it than cutting it. The tear leaves a little bit of backing sticking up that makes it much easier to get ahold of and remove.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Shop tip: to avoid utility knife cuts to free hand, make sandwich and hold it whilst making cut with normal hand. :)
Your mileage may vary.

Get healed quick, Don.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Superglue works for me too. At least on small, clean cuts that can be closed up. Obviously not on something that needs stitches like what Don had.

You can get special medical superglue. It's different to standard superglue: butyl or octyl cyanocrylate, which they claim is safer and better than standard methyl/ethyl cyanoacrylate. I've half a suspicion that the main reason it's different is because there's no profit in running clinical trials on something you can buy for $1 in any store.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts