Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not wanting to hijack JFPNCM (Jon) thread on his cutting board...thought I'd post a few of the ones I did over the winter after the holidays. I had a ton of cut-off's and found this is the best way to go about using up the wood. That and the fact that the wife and kid were all about me making these and selling them. Not much of a salesman, so I have made other arrangements :) These were all finished in a food grade mineral oil and bee's wax

Hope you guys like em.. I found to my surprise they were actually alot of fun to make and a couple of them were quite the challenge both in terms of cutting accuracy and in glue-ups..Kinda pic heavy.. I have another dozen sitting on my router table this afternoon, waiting for an oil bath and wax.

Attachments

· Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and if that wasn't annoying enough, here are a few more. This bath of pics, the boards were just wet down for the pics...need to be oiled up and waxed yet...Then there are another dozen like I said long grain bread boards waiting in line..

Attachments

· Registered
4,379 Posts
@TwoSkies57

Bill: Excellent boards, I really appreciate the posts! I have no doubt there were some very challenging cuts and glue ups involved in those. It will take some time to reason through how one would layout those pieces to achieve the really dramatic 3D effect, particularly as seen in the 1st and 2nd images in your 2nd post.

What "maple" did you use for the white keys on the keyboard? I just randomly picked a few pieces but they certainly don't stand out as well as yours do.

Again, amazing boards, thanks for the post.

· Registered
8,958 Posts
Bill those are fantastic, like I said awhile ago it becomes addictive they are so much fun to make. If you are giving them away, you will have no trouble finding people who want them. Most of the ones I made were given to charity auctions and some went for $125. and they were not as creative as yours. I never got into the 3D stuff.

Be sure to show the next set of pictures. You are sure doing a nice job on those. I hope the people who get them appreciate them as much as we do here.
Herb

· Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,600 Posts
Those are great, Bill, just great!! We've been making cutting boards for a while but not that creative. Fun to make, for sure. Every time I get a handful of Walnut, Maple, and Cherry scraps I start gluing up for another cutting board although the pattern is random, if that qualifies as a pattern. I need to try one of those 3D versions.

David

· Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
@TwoSkies57

Bill: Excellent boards, I really appreciate the posts! I have no doubt there were some very challenging cuts and glue ups involved in those. It will take some time to reason through how one would layout those pieces to achieve the really dramatic 3D effect, particularly as seen in the 1st and 2nd images in your 2nd post.

What "maple" did you use for the white keys on the keyboard? I just randomly picked a few pieces but they certainly don't stand out as well as yours do.

Again, amazing boards, thanks for the post.
@JFPNCM Thanks for the kind words Jon. Perhaps surprisingly enough, the actual cuts were not so much challenging as there was a absolute need for accuracy of angles and dimensional precision. Particularly on the boards that were fitted together, namely the 3D boards. The 1st and 2nd boards in post #2 are good examples, board #4 in 2nd post was a pain in the butt. My 1st attempt at it got scrapped out of frustration. In all 3 of those boards, never has "accumulated error" been so evident.

I used hard (sugar) maple on the piano board. All from the same board. Last fall I picked up about 150bf of 5/4 hard maple. 90% of it was just beautiful once milled up. The walnut I used was from a couple cutoff boards. mistake on my part. While a blind man runnin' would never notice it, I can see the difference between colors. Then instead of using ebony veneer (I save that stuff for special occasions) I just used some black dyed popular. nobody will know the difference but us *L*. Next time I do one of those (just enjoyed making it) I will pay particular attention to the grain direction in the dark keys. straight grain for the tops and something with a consistent angle for the sides and a horizontal grain for the front. It may seem like a little thing, but some experiment after the fact reveal that it adds tremendously to the 3D effect. My pictures as I'm sure yours, really don't do the piece justice. Its really kind of a cool project. Those little details that I mention, are sure to take it to another level altogether.

· Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Bill you have some beautiful boards there. I like to make boards so I can appreciate how challenging some of those are.
@billyjim That you sir... :) appreciate the kind words. I do enjoy a challenge. To be honest, not really my cup of tea so-to-speak, but dang, they are kind of addicting once you get going. And really an enjoyable process/build

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.