Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow am I glad i found these forums. I am a maybe a novice/medium level woodworker at best, but I do have the tools and general knowledge to complete some basic tasks and projects. I build alot of projects out of MDF. I purchased a set of jigs designed to be used with 3/4 MDF for "stacking" rounding corners using MDF. I have cutout a few with a whiteside spiral downcut flush bit (2100) 1/4". I know its a lot of material to cut and I am looking for the safest most efficient way to do this on a fairly large scale using my router table or existing equipment. I have attached a video demonstrating the product.

Any advice on how to make these things would be amazing, i have been researching lurking for quite some time.

·
Registered
21,666 Posts
I don't much like using MDF. Nasty sawdust fills lungs and you can't cough it out.

On large round corners like these, and depending on how large the flat piece is, I'd mark the curve, then cut with either a band saw or a saber saw, just outside the line. That makes less work, heat and stress on the bit, and you can get by with a less expensive trim bit with a bearing. I generally try to limit the amount of material the router bit has to cut through..

I think I'd also make a duplicate of the curved pattern rather than use the thinner commercial ones. Lets you fall back if you have an oopsie, and the larger pattern will give you a little more support for your base. Less chance of a wobble (oops).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i for through manufacturing 10 corners from 1/2” mdf and 12 corners from 3/4”. I used the whiteside downcut spiral flushcut bit for all of it. Once i got the rpm and speed to feed it in down it went good. Could tell it was hard on the bit and made alot of dust but got through it.
Once i had a good one cut i just glued, nailed and kept stacking and cutting.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Wood

Wood Blue Road surface Asphalt Flooring

Wood Gas Engineering Machine tool Bumper

1 - 5 of 5 Posts