Router Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Greg

That will work with the template but than you must find a way to hold it down in the right spot, I would suggest the Forstner bit like you have done but then use a cir.jig to put the 1/16" in place, the Forstner bit did the work for you by marking the pocket spot on dead center..just drill a small hole (1/8" ) for the pivot point and plunge the router down to do the work.. :) I would suggest the cir. jig below for the job..they cut a very true cir. every time..

Amazon.com: Jasper 200J Model 200 Circle Cutting Jig for Plunge Router: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: jasper circle jig Home Improvement

=====

Using a dish carving bit (from LV #16J26.70), I have to route 1/16" recesses in perfect circles.

If the photo upload cooperates, you can see my prototype (done with Forstner bit). But maybe I need more posts first.

I plan to use guide bushings inside a template that I can cut with a fly cutter on a drill press. So, I can make the template any size I need. (There could be some trial and error involved!)

Do you think I can use a guide bushing smaller than the outside diameter of my router bit (1.25")....IF I size the template accordingly?

Thanks.... Greg

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Greg

Yes the Jasper can take on the 1 1/4" router bit, the picture below shows one of the jaspers to take on the 1" bits, copy made of 1/2" MDF, I will post one of the jasper to take on 1 1/4" router bit easy.. if you want to see a snapshot just ask.. :) it's a very easy rework job on the jasper jig. The 1 1/2" brass guide is the key.. in that way you don't need to bolt the jasper to the router base, just drop and cut thing...

1-3/4" Brass Template Guides - Lee Valley Tools

Oak Park Enterprises Ltd.: Catalogue

Router Forums

====

Thanks BobJ3 and Harrysin
First BobJ3, With the Jasper guide jig, could I use a bit that is 1 1/4 " in size?

Harrysin, if my bit is 1 1/4, is there such a thing as a 1 1/2 guide bushing? or have I misunderstood you?

Thanks to both..... Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi

A very small 1/8" dowel pin will plug that hole in a heart beat, so small you may not see it at all :) with some glue and saw dust mixed from the same stock..to glue the dowel pin in place..

====

Bobj3
I guess to each of us a mystery exists until it is revealed. So it is with the Jasper jig.
I don't quite understand how I would get a flat bottom recess when I have to have a hole for the pin, around which the jig rotates.
RustyW had a neat idea for a jig that does not require pins or double sided tape to cut recesses.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.