Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to cut down an oak dowel 5/8 to fit in a 5/8 hole. They do not seem to make a 9/16 version. I tried sanding on it outside for about 15 minutes with not making progress. I finally put my belt sander in my vise upside down and it worked pretty fast but there was dust everywhere. Can you think of an easy way to do this without making a lot of dust? I do not have a lathe. I was thinking maybe a piece of curved broken glass would work but I have not tried it. What do you think?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
spoke shave would be the safest and easiest...
mage a scraper to do it in place of a spoke shave...
forget the glass idea unless you like stitches...

·
Registered
254 Posts
It was either Matthias Wandel or Marius Hornberger on Youtube who had a video of a dowel maker. Basically, it was a flat chisel clamped to a jig, the inside hole of which was at the finished diameter while the outside hole accommodated the larger stock. The larger piece was chucked into a cordless drill and fed into the jig. The shavings, IIRC, were more like from a lathe and less like a sander.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a couple of good ideas. Would the spoke shave need to be curved? My dad had one but I did not end up with it. I will work on this as I need to make a half dozen or more. I will try to find the video for the jig.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Get a piece of steel flat stock. Drill the diameter hole that you need. Clamp the steel into a vice or screw it to a table. Chuck up the dowel in a hand drill (you may have to pare it down to fit a 3/8 chuck (or 1/2"). Taper the other end slightly, and start it into the hole in the plate. On a slow speed spin the dowel as you feed it through the hole in the plate. The sharp edge of the hole will start shaving the dowel and it will size down to the diameter that you need.

Reactions: old55 and Nickp

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Get a piece of steel flat stock. Drill the diameter hole that you need. Clamp the steel into a vice or screw it to a table. Chuck up the dowel in a hand drill (you may have to pare it down to fit a 3/8 chuck (or 1/2"). Taper the other end slightly, and start it into the hole in the plate. On a slow speed spin the dowel as you feed it through the hole in the plate. The sharp edge of the hole will start shaving the dowel and it will size down to the diameter that you need.
two reductions come out cleaner on that...

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
...and if a drill is not available, a hammer will surely do the same...it would be good to have something underneath to keep the piece centered...

...just adding...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
...and if a drill is not available, a hammer will surely do the same...it would be good to have something underneath to keep the piece centered...

...just adding...
ditto on the hammer...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Lie Neilson make these plates. They turn out lovely dowels. You can make the dowel over length and chamfer the end as a leadin or even cutting a little slot in one side gives a bit of lee way (lie way in this case?)

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Lee...a thought just occurred to me as I re read your post...do you need to cut 5/8" from what you're starting with to get it down to 5/8"...like starting with a closet pole to end at 5/8...

If so, I would rather suggest going out and buying what you need...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
did a search for 9/16 and 5/8 oak wooden dowel rod and they are out there...

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
How many of these do you have to make? It might be quicker to clean up the dust than to monkey around trying to make a few using some other method than your belt sander.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I have made progress. I found a piece of scrap 3/16 steel around. I cleaned it up with a wire brush on my bench grinder. I have drilled a 5/8 inch hole as seen in the picture. I then cut some small notches in the steel plate around the hole with my cut off saw. I now have a dowel forming jig which I will save in my tool box. The jig is plenty big enough to add more sizes as I need them.
This jig worked very well. I would recommend to anybody as there was no mess no fuss. Using the belt sander had me breathing all kinds of small wood dust.

I have ordered a spoke shave off eBay for $10.50 just incase something else crops up.

I can't seem to up load pictures. I have before. Is this a windows 10 thing or operator error? I am trying to drag and drop and I get the little red circle with the line across it saying no. Has anybody up loaded pictures with windows 10?

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a Youtube video of a guy making bench dogs from dowel stock, and he used a hand plane to reduce the circumference of the dowel to fit in his bench. He makes it look pretty simple. Search for "Make bench dogs Marty Backe". Hope it works for your application.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
" (you may have to pare it down to fit a 3/8 chuck (or 1/2"). "
-Bill

Lol! I'm pretty sure that's the original objective...the paring down part. :)

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
" (you may have to pare it down to fit a 3/8 chuck (or 1/2"). "
-Bill

Lol! I'm pretty sure that's the original objective...the paring down part. :)
Cute, Dan, Cute!:wink:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts