Router Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found, the other day this little jig that I used some time ago to put corner flutes into some posts on a clock, this in a larger version can also be used on table legs etc, very simple to make and very easy to use, see attached pics.

001.jpg (312.6 KB)
002.jpg (302.6 KB)
004.jpg (319.8 KB)
005.jpg (266.1 KB)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Yet another cute idea Derek, the sort that makes one say "now why didn't I think of that".
I can visualise adding a simple indexing system to make multiple flutes on round stock.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Thanks derek

Neat but I think I will pass on that one I just don't like my fingers that close to a router bit but I can't wait until you find out how safe it can be done with the ski jig or the Crfatsman router crafter.

====

I just found, the other day this little jig that I used some time ago to put corner flutes into some posts on a clock, this in a larger version can also be used on table legs etc, very simple to make and very easy to use, see attached pics.

001.jpg (312.6 KB)
002.jpg (302.6 KB)
004.jpg (319.8 KB)
005.jpg (266.1 KB)

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Yet another cute idea Derek, the sort that makes one say "now why didn't I think of that".
I can visualise adding a simple indexing system to make multiple flutes on round stock.
I agree Harry. Just use a center finding head to mark a line through center of your dowel and then mark the angles you want on the end plate of the jig starting from a point equal to the radius of the dowel. Really simple. Not sure why Bob would be worried about his fingers. There is a substantial piece of wood between the bit and your hand. Besides, it would be easy to make a handheld hold down. Also, not everybody has a Craftsman Router Crafter. However, everybody has scrap in their shop.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree Harry. Just use a center finding head to mark a line through center of your dowel and then mark the angles you want on the end plate of the jig starting from a point equal to the radius of the dowel. Really simple. Not sure why Bob would be worried about his fingers. There is a substantial piece of wood between the bit and your hand. Besides, it would be easy to make a handheld hold down. Also, not everybody has a Craftsman Router Crafter. However, everybody has scrap in their shop.
Thanks, you two guys, I must admit I haven't thought of using it on round stock, I just made it for one specific purpose only, but I will now give it a try.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Charles

It just looks like he putting his hand into the hopper of a meat grinder to me, things can happen so fast with a router ,why push it. :( and you know I love jigs but safe ones ...

You too can have a Craftsman Router Crafter for about 25.oo to 50.oo dollars ,(now and than)off the eBay web site, after all if you are going to do it, do it safe as you can..

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R...sman+Router+Crafter&_sacat=See-All-Categories

==========

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bob, I know you must have more hours inyour day than me, I only have 24, to be able to spend the hours on the computer and all those other hours playing with everything that has ever been invented, you must also be a very rich person to do so, us ordinary people who just love to do things with wood and really enjoy making something work are just mere mortals and are woodworkers with our hearts in it.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Nice job Gio. That's better than what I envisioned several years ago when Derek posted this.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
thanks Gio...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
All of your jigs were as simple as they could be made Derek and that's why I liked them so much. Gio's version is very similar to what I had envisioned that it could be made into to make it a little more versatile. He also took care of the problem of different lengths. But that did make it more complicated. For me, I think it's a worthwhile trade off.

You know you are welcome to post on a regular basis, not just when someone resurrects one of your old posts don't you? I miss your simple, common sense approach to things.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Derek...can you post a picture of the bottom side of the jig...thanks...Nick

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Derek, thanks for the pictures and the idea. As far as safety, I think it would be possible to make a "hold-down" to hole the piece in place while cutting. A piece of 2X4 with a right angle notch on one corner to fit over the square of the piece?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.