Router Forums banner

Cutting small external radi don't look like circles more like small hexagons

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  TroyB 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a MT Series 36" by 36" router. I'm cutting small radi dimensioned at 1/32" out of .017" thick ceramic material. I'm cutting with a 1/16" carbide TiCN coated cutter. RPM=30k feed=5ipm. I'm using Enroute 4 to create the g code

i have to make internal and external radi. The internal ones look fine (as expected from cutter dia) but the exterior ones look like hexagons kind of (basically there are distinct straight lines). I've looked at my dxf i imported, looks fine. I look at the g code and it has a g03 to run the path. The job consul looks like it's creating a radius. Anyone have an idea why the external radi don't looks good?

Thanks in advance!
Troy

#2 ·
Hi Troy - Welcome to the forum:)
You may want to repost this in the CNC forum, a couple down from the General Routing forum.
I haven't done much with CNC in a long time and didn't do much of it then so can't be of much help.
Seems like the console should reflect the program so possibly a mechanical or resolution issue. Stepper motor steps to coarse or something like that. I'm just winging it here, maybe to give you some ideas. :fie:

#6 ·
Hello,

I have a MT Series 36" by 36" router. I'm cutting small radi dimensioned at 1/32" out of .017" thick ceramic material. I'm cutting with a 1/16" carbide TiCN coated cutter. RPM=30k feed=5ipm. I'm using Enroute 4 to create the g code

i have to make internal and external radi. The internal ones look fine (as expected from cutter dia) but the exterior ones look like hexagons kind of (basically there are distinct straight lines). I've looked at my dxf i imported, looks fine. I look at the g code and it has a g03 to run the path. The job consul looks like it's creating a radius. Anyone have an idea why the external radi don't looks good?

Thanks in advance!
Troy

Sounds like your dxf arcs are being converted to segments. I don't have any cnc experience but I'm familiar with the phenomenon. Here's a thread I found that may give you some clues about fixing the problem:

Super quick question Please help. [Archive] - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.