Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.clearvuecyclones.com/cyclone-bundles/66-cv1800-lh-1p-cyclone-bundle-with-filters.html

Well after studying dust collection this past few days , I’m thinking it’s time to retire my General DC , and upgrade to something that will improve the dust collection from my table saw .
From the videos I’ve watched , the cyclone clear view seems like a winner .
I’m going to order it with the optional 16” impeller assembly for more cfm . It’s a $100 upgrade , and the more cfm the better I’m assuming,unless it creates a problem with the cyclone effect . You’d think they’ve took that into consideration though ?

Now I can go overhead like I wanted to , and not have to worry about not having enough suction .
I’ve watched videos on the product, and although it seems kind of plasticky to me , no ones complaining about it so far , and I don’t want to pay the extra for an all metal one .

I have a 10’ ceiling , so heights not an issue for the system , plus as a bonus, I get to keep it tucked away in the far corner where I preferred to have it located .
If I kept my old setup, I was going to move it to the centre side on the garage , as close as I could have it to my table saw .

So now I’m just waiting for a shipping quote, which may be the deal breaker

Attachments

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RainMan I have been using the Clear Vue 1800 for three years now and really like it. For me it was an easy decision since I try to not buy anything made in China. Just be sure to empty the sawdust barrel before it is full and you plug up the filters.
Good to hear Larry . Should a guy pay the extra 100 bucks for a 16” impeller, or are you happy with the suction as is ?
I’m only going to use one tool at once , and my longest run will be under 30 feet

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have had my clearvue for 5 years and it works great. I used 6" pvc(white thin wall sewer line stuff). My longest run is 20' and no issues with the standard impeller. Make sure you get the remote. I have mine in an adjacent room and turn it on and off all the time. I have overfilled the barrel a few times. It sneaks up on you. Just check it regularly and tamp it down once and awhile. The barrel monitor seemed way too expensive.

Get help lifting that motor to the top. It weighs a ton.

Jamie.

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have had my clearvue for 5 years and it works great. I used 6" pvc(white thin wall sewer line stuff). My longest run is 20' and no issues with the standard impeller. Make sure you get the remote. I have mine in an adjacent room and turn it on and off all the time. I have overfilled the barrel a few times. It sneaks up on you. Just check it regularly and tamp it down once and awhile. The barrel monitor seemed way too expensive.

Get help lifting that motor to the top. It weighs a ton.

Jamie.
I have a remote sensing system now . As soon as my machine is turned on the contactor starts up my DC , and there’s also a delay when you shut it off .
But I was actually debating to kibosh that system and go with the remote, as it just makes more sense with multiple machines , unless a switch is located in a handy location.
The majority of the time I’m on my table saw .

I also had plans on using 6” thin wall pvc

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Or do as I did and use garage door sensors to cut off the DC using their accessory switch. And yes, that's a strobe light on the alarm so you have visual and sound. The DC cuts off when the sensors can't "see" each other.
Wow that’s a pretty unique idea . Had to read it twice and look again to realize what I was looking at

·
Registered
108 Posts
The clearvue site forum will give you all the info you need for running your ductwork. Take the pvc as close to the machine as you can get. Flex pipe adds a lot of flow resistance. I originally ran 4" to my table saw then switched it up to 6" almost all the way and it worked way better. A floor sweep is a must. Easy to build. Use it all the time. The barrels are available cheap in Canada from uline. Lots of size choice depending on your height of system.

Attachments

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The clearvue site forum will give you all the info you need for running your ductwork. Take the pvc as close to the machine as you can get. Flex pipe adds a lot of flow resistance. I originally ran 4" to my table saw then switched it up to 6" almost all the way and it worked way better. A floor sweep is a must. Easy to build. Use it all the time. The barrels are available cheap in Canada from uline. Lots of size choice depending on your height of system.
Great info , thanks ;)
Speaking of barrels , Ken (a cyclone distributor in Canada ) , was nice enough to mention that businesses that do spray in liner often have these drums .
So I ran down to see my guy and by chance Lorn had just put a blue one out this morning .
He said you can’t have the black ones , so I’m assuming he gets a deposit on them , but said I can have this blue one that he had just emptied.
I’m like perfect , and it’s Cyclone Blue to boot lol

Attachments

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Rick, be sure to locate it where you can build an soundproof enclosure around it, it is a high db machine. When Clearview was located here, they had one with the 15" impeller in their 4000 + sq.ft. facility ,with more than one CNC machine running and all the rest to their machines running off it, so I would think for a home shop it is way more than adequate.
Herb

·
Registered
257 Posts
Great info , thanks ;)
Speaking of barrels , Ken (a cyclone distributor in Canada ) , was nice enough to mention that businesses that do spray in liner often have these drums .
So I ran down to see my guy and by chance Lorn had just put a blue one out this morning .
He said you can’t have the black ones , so I’m assuming he gets a deposit on them , but said I can have this blue one that he had just emptied.
I’m like perfect , and it’s Cyclone Blue to boot lol
That is great, but remember you will have to empty it. For some reason mine keeps getting heavier every year.

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is great, but remember you will have to empty it. For some reason mine keeps getting heavier every year.
lol, I was actually thinking the same thing . Ken has mentioned that is was great to have that ring fastener around it to, but apparently it’s a pita to remove and reinstall.
Guess I’ll find out soon enough .
It would be cool if a guy could have riveted on some kind of latches instead .

Another question. Ken seemed concerned about grounding if you use plastic pipe .
I hope you don’t have to be concerned with every foot of pipe grounding wise?
I did some sourcing today , and the guys I deal with do not have 6” steel duct in 22 gauge , so I’m going to use non CSA plastic 6” pipe .
So apparently now I have to be concerned with grounding?

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Rick, be sure to locate it where you can build an soundproof enclosure around it, it is a high db machine. When Clearview was located here, they had one with the 15" impeller in their 4000 + sq.ft. facility ,with more than one CNC machine running and all the rest to their machines running off it, so I would think for a home shop it is way more than adequate.
Herb
Thanks Herb , good to know . Ken was against the 16” impeller upgrade also .

Sound proofing wise I think I’m hooped . How I wish I had a huge shop and a dedicated room for the dust collector and air compressor.
Well and a beer fridge and toilet while I’m dreaming

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Rick...grounding dust collection PVC is like having a torque wrench...you don't use it every day and it sits in a drawer but it's there when you need it...

Read this article...there are lots more articles to read...search "grounding dust collection systems" https://www.thegeekpub.com/3621/grounding-a-dust-collection-system/

...ever see the sign at gas pumps warning you about getting in and out of your car while pumping gas...? And to touch a metal part of the vehicle before reaching for the pump handle...? Anytime anything moves through a container it has the capacity of creating and storing static electricity...an unwanted discharge may have consequences...

...YMMV...

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
@Nickp I have read articles about grounding. and they go both ways, The only time I found it was a nuesense was at my drum sander. When I went to pick the board off the conveyor it would Zap me a good one. So I ran a short bare copper wire from wrapped around the duct to the machine, which is grounded, and it solved the problem. It is a nightmare to run wire full length and most PVC systems don't have it for that reason.Just ground the tool to the duct.
HErb

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Hey guys , this gets more complicated. This guy made a comment on youtube , and is claiming that 4” is better for vertical drops , as the velocity is faster .
I was going to run 6” pvc trunk , and go with 6” all the way to the table saw.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.