Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use two edge guides when routing a dado along a long piece of wood. They hold the router steady from both sides of the wood to prevent any wandering. See attached photo

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
That's one of the jigs on my to do list Jim. I tried to make one from the edge guides that came with my 2 big Hitachis but one has fixed rods and they weren't long enough to use the part from the other one. I had to do a job just like the one you show and as careful as I could possibly be with the single edge guide I had a few very small strays off a straight line.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Thanks for the tip, William, I have done the one on theblock of wood before, but never thought about the one on the router base. Learn something new everyday.

Herb

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dado guide (groove guide actually)

Jim

Owners of DIY routers generally don't have the luxury of being able to buy a second edge guide. Many DIY router manufacturers use the same simple guide shown in my photo and having two of them wouldn't help. I made my own second edge guide (also shown in the photo) and use it when cutting mortices with a hand-held plunge router.
It will work just as well for the application you describe.

PS. The cut you show is a groove: a U-shaped cut with the grain. A dado is a U-shaped cut across the grain. Why two different names for what is essentially the same cut. When my grandfather cut a groove he did it with a wooden plane. When he cut a dado he did it with a tenon saw and chisel. Two totally different approaches and hence two different names. The names have lived on.

Denis Lock

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts