Router Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi J, welcome. I think that the partion might be flimsey with only 1/4 left in the middle. I just finished a shelving built-in in a pantry with a similar set-up, so a solution might consist of the following: Dado the rear wall of the unit horizontally to recieve the shelves and you should already have good support, even without much help from the centre partition, especially if you face the shelves with a sturdy edge moulding. You could then slot the shelves to half depth, with a corresponding slot in the vertical partition and slide the partition into a dado at top and bottom. Unless your spans are enormous, you should have plenty of support. I can climb up the ones I built with a span of almost 5 feet. I happen to like 3/4 ply as well, although it is overkill for most such applications. Usually looks best if you treat the exposed edges with edge tape or a moulding as mentioned, depending on the look you require for your piece. Hope this helps,

R

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.